Author Topic: Step by step please!!  (Read 779 times)

Offline Coralp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:09:17 am »
I'm working on my daughters day time routine to try and hopefully get around the night wake ups but until then I need some advice on getting through them.  I keep chopping and changing my approach and second guessing myself which I know can't be helping.  I have a night without my eldest and my husband is away for a couple of nights so want to commit to a particular way of dealing with this.

Emily is 5 months old. During the day she self settles to naps, she eats about 28 oz of formula and 1 'top up' BF between her 3pm and 7pm bottles. She is 91%ile so no weight issues and no longer gets fed during the night.

Basically she wakes any time between 11:30 and 2am, chatting in her cot, very loudly. I have been leaving her to self settle but after 45 mins/an hour she gets grumpy and I have been shush patting to sleep, which can take up to an hour as she's so overtired by that point.  We then get another brief wake up between 5 and 6 which I pat her down within 20 mins.

How should I deal with these wake ups? I don't want her to NEED a shush pat to go to sleep during the night, should I be going in during her Chatty period? She just wants to play when I have previously. Should I ignore her even when she gets grumpy and leave her until she settles herself? Maybe go in at intervals?

Please, as I said, I need a step by step plan to get her back to sleep quickly, without creating props, until I get her daytime sorted and hopefully she'll stop the night wakings!! This is my weekend to sort if it's going to be noisy!

Many thanks in advance

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Step by step please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 13:59:41 pm »
They sounds rather like UT or developmental night wakings....can you post her routine?  I would personally leave her to it at night if she is an independent sleeper unless she is crying an 'I need you' cry.  It may be she would settle better without you as your presence may be a distraction.  Obviously if she distressed go to her but I'm not sure there is a huge lot other than shh pat and reassurance you can do - certainly nothing that will make the process go any quicker.  Let's look at your routine and take it from there :)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Step by step please!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 20:03:22 pm »