Author Topic: 11.5 Week Old - Eats Every 4 Hours  (Read 1801 times)

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 04, 2016, 20:23:07 pm »
Hello again,
My 11.5 month old daughter is eating every 4 hours now, but I am having trouble sticking to the EASY routine.  She wakes up generally between 7:30-8 am, and will eat 6-8 oz at approximately 11:30, 3:30, 7:30pm, and she has been sleeping from 8:30 pm ish until 7:30am.  The last few days have been horrible for naps and she has only been able to sleep for 40 minutes (cannot transition through sleep cycle), but today I went into her room at the 30-40 minute mark and shushed/patted when she started stirring and she slept another 50 minutes.  :)  However, I am having trouble keeping her awake longer.  We were able to do an hour and a half A time and then her naps turned awful when she couldn't transition.  The last few days, I'm lucky to get an hour of A time before a yawn.  Could this just be because she was no longer getting the full 40 minute nap?  Should I work on longer A times?   With the short A times and a decent nap, once she wakes, it's still not time for her to eat, so we do a bit of activity.  Do you think I should try to decrease feedings to every 3.5 hours or slowly increase A time?

Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 11.5 Week Old - Eats Every 4 Hours
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 20:44:47 pm »
Hello again,
My 11.5 month old daughter is eating every 4 hours now,

I'm assuming you mean 11.5 week old, not month old ;) ;D

I had this issue and it's quite common for formula fed (again, I'm assuming formula!) babies to need a longer E before their A times are up to it. I stuck to the 4 hour E as much as possible but it meant that for a few weeks we couldn't do a proper EASY until her A times caught up. They are usually ready foe the 2 hours you need by around 4 months, some take a few weeks more. We had a patter something like EASAE, there were times when the E came very close to the S so we just made sure not to feed to sleep by having a nappy change and 5/0 mins of A then down for S.

If her first nap is short then you will need to reduce her A time a bit so she doesn't get OT, but if you get a decent nap you can slowly work at extending the A times until she can do the A time needed for a 4 hour EASY. My DD was a fairly high A time needs baby and we had dropped the cat nap by 5 months so she was on 2 good naps.

HTH!

Laura

Laura

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 15:19:32 pm »
Haha yes, that is what I meant.  Lovely lack of sleep. :(. Thank you for the reply!