Author Topic: 13 mo sleep gone off the track  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 04, 2016, 21:39:21 pm »
DD is 13 months in a few days. She has started having NW (three a night with the last one very early in the morning then she manages to fall asleep again). I don't know what is causing this.
She generally wakes up for the day around 6 am +/- 45 minutes. Her naps have been generally good lasting 1hr -1:30 and she has been going to sleep easily.
Her schedule has been as follows:
5:30/6:30 wu, BF
8 breakfast
9:30/10 nap
11 up and BF
1:30 lunch
2:30/3 nap
4 up and BF
5:30 dinner
7 pm bed (BF)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:02:28 am by ele »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 13 mo sleep gone off the track
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 15:52:11 pm »
At her age I am fairly certain the nw's (if not teething/illness related) are probably a signal that she is ready for the move to one nap. This sticky has lots of good info: From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 16:14:36 pm »
I am trying this now, I will post how it goes, yesterday was pretty bad. She might be teething as well (she is not the kind to show her mouth to me when I want to see :)). If she is teething is it possible that she always wakes up around the same time from pain? I don't know simply because all of our first teeth came in a very short stretch when she was tiny.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 16:15:38 pm »
oh. and thank you for responding.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 19:22:11 pm »
You're welcome :)  hmm I wonder if it is part teeth and part 2-1? Mine won't.open her mouth either, but sometimes when brushing I get a peek or I genty slide my index finger along the outside of her gums to feel for swelling. I think I would try tweaking the routine anyways as teeth can be a bother for ages!
Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 19:46:39 pm »
can I please doiblecheck if my logic is not off with tentative schedule from the suggested 2-1 transition link (and all my thinking behind it). i so much need an extra pair of eyes as am getting confused.

so I am thinking that since, even though she sleeps same time both naps and may be even longer first nap, typically she would have a harder time settling for the second nap, therefore I should cut first nap .am I right?

so I try to  have a day roughly like this (with tweeks here and there).
6 am +/- wu
3:15-4 hrs of A
11 am up (30-40 min nap)
2/2:30  pm going for her second nap
4 pm up
7 pm to bed for the night

also, the target is not to increase her A time (as A stays about the same), but to implicitly transition her to one nap with a tiny catnap to survive through the day.

and the last question, should I let her sleep past 4 pm if she just can't nap easily  (yesterday she fell asleep at 3:45 today still up at 3).

and thank you again. yes her molars area gums are swollen a little.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 20:23:14 pm by ele »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 14:32:41 pm »
Does she do well with a shorter A time to bed? Some kids do, mine never did! If so you may be able to get away with a little later nap. One thing though is the morning nap can be a bit of an undertired catnap so to balance the day more and pull the second nap earlier (because eventually the second nap will become the only nap) you could do the morning nap at 10 am for 30 min and then shoot for the second nap at 1:30/2 pm giving plenty of time to get a decent nap in and A time before bed.

In regards to A time, yes for a lot of kids it is just about shifting when they sleep and ending up with one nap that gives them the same day sleep and A time as before - but if after all the tweaking she still has ew's we can reassess and tweak some more!
Heidi

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 14:34:46 pm »
Oh and I should mention one more alternative to get to one nap is jumping cold turkey - it does work for some lo's. And for impatient moms like myself ;) all my three went to one and then no nap cold turkey as I am so terrible at figuring A times and they are spirited enough to handle the ensuing ot with ease.
Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 14:38:53 pm »
I will try to play around with your suggestions included thank you. She is a spirited one, that's for sure, that said she gets OT easily.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:52 am »
Yes for sure keep her temperment in mind with any changes (and know that my latest toddler experience comes from a low sleep needs spirited girl who rarely gets ot ;) ).
Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 03:31:34 am »
Thank you and following up. It took us some time to settle into the new routine (getting through a cold along the way) and we are teething, but it's a bit smoother now.
Her routine is
6 am up ( I wish it was later, but ok)
9:45 nap till 10:30
1:45 nap till 3:30/4 pm
7pm sleep
The other day she refused morning nap and I could not change schedule too much so she napped at 1 waking up every 30 minutes. That made me think that I should probably move her naps even closer to the morning at some point in order to prepare for the one nap full transition OR have an alternative schedule for when she skips naps more routinely. Since she gets very easily OT, I can't make changes cold turkey. I wonder what your recommendation would be?

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 19:46:52 pm »
If she gets ot easy I would not jump.cold turkey then. You could alternate 1 and 2 nap days or keep the morning catnap but make it shorter as she needs less sleep. At some point though you may have a rough few days of pushing through the ot for one nap. But for now yes bring the 2nd nap a bit earlier as you shorten the other nap as she won't need as uch A time in between.
Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 21:01:48 pm »
oh how rushed was I. she is napping much much worse now and last couple of days are scary. please help.
Up 5:30-6
1st Nap 9:45-10:15/10:30 (about 45 min)
2 nd nap in bed by 13:30, asleep 14:30 if lucky.Yesterday she spent all day on morning nap only. Played for some time in bed then cried for the remainder, so I had to take her out of bed by 3:30. Today she cried for 1 hr before falling asleep. She was very tired I could see, but didn't fall asleep for a while and up until I lay nearby her (something I have not done in months now) . Even before, She has been waking up for about a week after 1 hr or so of nap, so her total daytime nap was barely 2 hrs (usually and since she was tiny no less than 2.5 hrs).

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:07:05 am »
She may be ready for a bit less day sleep - or perhaps just to have it consolidated in one nap. Sounds like she was undertired for her second nap but then got overtired from fussing around too much. It can be a real pain this nap dropping. Have the nights been okay?
Heidi

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »
nights are ok, but we have early waking. she is not ready for one nap yet though, as she woke up through the night the one time this happened and had EW.
can it be the opposite, who is overtired on the catnap since it interrupts her sleep?