Author Topic: Fitful sleep for my 6 month old angel baby - PUPD stopped working  (Read 894 times)

Offline buttermilk!

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • First time mama in Philadelphia!
Sorry my post is long and not more organized. I've been reading the forum for months and wanted to post our story for help. I finally found the time to do it and I'm just trying to include all the information I can think of.

I have an angel/textbook baby who is a week shy of 6 months. You know the drill - she slept wonderfully at night until about 3 months. I started her on EASY at 6 weeks, and we transitioned to 4 hour around 5 months old. Her sleep is becoming VERY fitful at night and I do not know what I am doing wrong!!  :'( She used to at least give me a 5 or 6 hour stretch at the beginning of the night, but now she usually wakes up after 2.5-3 hours and then it's every 2 hours after that. I usually try to send DH in to put her back down at the first waking, then I feed her at the second, then he goes back in for the third, and then I try to not nurse again after that but sometimes I give in because we are so desperate for sleep.

We used PU/PD and shush/pat around 3-4 months to get her sleeping in her own crib and it worked great. She responded quickly to it and it was an easy transition. Somewhere along the way though we stopped doing it. She goes down on her own pretty quickly for bedtime. Sometimes I have to pick her up and sing another song if she isn't drowsy enough but usually no problem there. For NWs when I feed her I nurse to sleep and DH had been rocking her back to sleep in his arms then putting her back in the crib. One week ago we decided we'd had enough and committed to PUPD again. I was prepared for many rough nights but it worked great and FAST! The first night she slept through the night with only a 10 min PUPD at 10:30, the second night she only woke once to feed, the third night similar. I thought we were in the clear!!! And then....it's all been slowly deteriorating since then. We've now had 5 nights in a row of horrible sleep and we are right back where we started. I do not know what happened but it just seems PUPD stopped working.

During our PUPD sessions she will often get quiet and roll over like she is going back to sleep but she just wakes right back up crying within a couple of minutes. Over and over and over again. Or we will sneak out of the room and as soon as my head hits my pillow she wakes right back up! She is very mobile - rolling and tossing in her crib all night. Also THREE nights this week she woke up at 4 or 4:30 and we tried getting her back down for 1.5 hours before just giving up and getting up with her. I do not know what to do, I feel like my there must be a way to solve this baby puzzle but I feel like I try everything and nothing works! We combo feed because I have a low supply. She is average weight and I do not think she is eating at night for hunger. We stopped swaddling months ago and she does not rely on a pacifier - only started taking one a month ago so sometimes we give it to her at night but not always. 

One good thing that resulted in PUPD is that it extended her naps - she used to wake at 45 mins always but all this week she has been sleeping for a good 1.5-2 hours. During the daytime she is an angel. Sometimes I wonder if her body clock is taking over a bit and it's not just about her awake time. Her body may be used to falling asleep at certain times of the day and on days that the schedule gets thrown off she is a nightmare to put down until her usual nap time. Or maybe she just needs longer awake times and I don't realize it?

Here is her EASY.

Wake 6am
E 6am (nurse + 3 oz bottle)
A (2h-2h15m)
S 8:00-9:30-9:45
E 10am (6 oz bottle)
A (2h-2h15m)
S 11:30/12:00-2:00 (long nap here at daycare - they sush/pat her to extend her nap till 2)
E 2:00 (6 oz bottle)
E 3:30/4:00 *
A (3 hours - It used to be 2 but she won't fall asleep until about 5pm now)**
S 5:00-5:30
Bathtime 6:15
E 6:30/7:00 (Nurse + 4/5 oz bottle. She usually doesn't nurse well for this feeding but I still try. She will take the bottle though)
Bedtime 7-7:30 depending on her last nap

* I pick her up from daycare at 3 and like to nurse her when we get home around 3:30-4:00 to reconnect and also bc I have a low milk supply and don't respond well to pump, so I'm trying to get in some extra nursing.

**We dropped to 3 naps a few weeks ago bc she had a week straight of refusing the 4th nap. Now it's getting harder to put her down for the 3rd nap too. All this week she won't fall asleep until 5 pm. Lately, sometimes I just nurse her to sleep in our bed for this nap so we can take a catnap together, or I'll run some errands with her and she falls asleep in the stroller.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Fitful sleep for my 6 month old angel baby - PUPD stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 19:53:34 pm »
Hi and welcome  :)

Please don't worry about the long post, It's every informative and helps me a lot  ;).

I do think you hit the classic regression stage of pu/pd where it works, but then on day 4 they like to test to make sure this is the new way of going to sleep  ;). Unfortunately it is case of sticking with it and not reverting back to the old ways.

Saying that, if she's nearing 6mo I do think many of your issues lies from UT. I think these A times are working for you atm because of the disturbed nights. But the disturbed nights are because of the short A times.. a vicious circle i'm afraid.

I'll post a link for you at the end about the 3-2, your LO is showing the signs of needing to drop that CN, but in order to do that, we are going to need to push the other A times in order for there not be too long of an A to BT.

If you're working off 2hrs 15mins A now, can we extend both of those to 2hr 30mins and hold for a few days? We've got room to lengthen your day for now as it's not unusual to have 13hr days during transitions, so if it's ok with you we have a later BT as a result of the longer 2 A times and keeping the 30mins CN for now. How does that sound? Fancy giving it a go? And back to the ou/pd at night time too? xx

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline buttermilk!

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 22:07:36 pm »
Thank you so much for trying to help me!! Okay so extend both A times to 2h30m and keep the catnap for now right? One problem I have is that we all wake at 6 and DH drops off baby to the babysitter st 10. So if she sleeps 8:30-10:00 that's fine and he can be a little late but if she wants to sleep later than that he would have to wake her. Okay to do or should I try to adjust our drop off time for a few days?

So first nap 8:30-10:00. Second nap 12:30-2:00ish. Catnap 4:30ish and bedtime 7:30?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:05:06 am »
If you can, that'll be great. What I would do is decrease that last A a little given it's only a CN.

so maybe this:

wu 6
nap 1 8.30-10
nap 2 12.30-2
CN 4.30-5
BT 7 (this last A might need tweaking a little but a good place to start I think)

Let me know how it goes xx

Offline buttermilk!

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:05 pm »
Okay here is our EASY info for the past 4 days. Overall I'd say things have been better than last week before we adjusted A times, but still having some issues. Wednesday night was pretty rough but I think she was just hungry and I didn't have a lot of milk bc I had pumped before bed and then had to nurse shortly after. Let me know what you think! Her naps have been pretty great. Still hasn't seemed sleepy for the last nap until close to 3 hours (5-5:30) so then we have still been doing bedtime st 7:30

Sunday
WU 6:20
Eat 6:30 nurse + 2 oz
Sleep 8:45 - 10:00
took her up at 8:30 and went down easy!
Cried at 9:13 OT? 30 sec then back to sleep
Cried at 9:30 10 sec then back to sleep
Eat 10:15 nurse + 3 oz
Sleep 12:25 - 12:55
She was very sleepy at noon but we pushed her. Cranky going down but still only took a few minutes. Gave pacifier bc I thought she needed extra soothing from being OT.
Woke 12:55 was quiet for ten mins in crib but then I couldn't put back down.
Eat 1:30 nurse + 3oz
Sleep 4-5
Eat 5:30 nurse + 3oz
Eat 6:45 4oz
Sleep 7:30
NW 9:30 scream cry, went back to sleep easily 6pd
NW 11:30 nursed
NW 4:15 nursed

Monday
WU 6:00
Eat 6:30 nurse +3oz
Sleep 8:30-10:00
Eat 10:00 6 oz
Sleep 12:30-2:30
Eat 2:30 6 oz
Nurse 3:30
Nurse 5:30
Sleep 6:00-6:30 in carrier
Eat 7:00 nurse + 6 oz
Bedtime 7:35
NW 12:50 nursed
NW 5:00 easy to put down 5 mins 10 pd
Yay!!!

Tuesday
Eat 6:20 nurse + 3 oz
Sleep 8:30-10:15
Eat 10:30 6 oz
Sleep 12:20-1:50
Eat 2:00 6 oz
Nurse 3:20
Sleep 5:00 -5:45 in crib
Eat 6:00 6oz
Eat 7:00 2 oz
Bedtime 7:30 so easy
NW 9:20 after a cough. 7pd. Then woke twice more right back to back
NW 12:00 nursed
NW 3:30-4:00 pd 30 mins, then slept til 7!

Wednesday
WU 7:00
Eat 7:15 nurse +3
Sleep 9:30-11:15
Eat 11:30 6 oz
Sleep 1:30-3:00
Eat 3:00 n+4
Sleep 5:15-5:45 in carrier
Eat peas @ 6:15
Eat 7:00 nurse +6oz
Bedtime 7:30
NW 10:17 20 mins PUPD asleep 10:37
NW 11:45 nursed, but didn't have much milk
NW 1:00 PUPD 5 mins
NW 1:45 gave tylenol plus 4 oz bottle. Asleep 2:20 til 6
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:33:57 pm by buttermilk! »

Offline buttermilk!

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 15:05:22 pm »
And here was yesterday's EASY.

Thurs
Eat 6:30 nurse +3oz
Sleep 8:30-10:30
Eat 10:30 6 oz
Sleep 1-2:15
Eat 2:30 6 oz
Sleep 3:55-4:15
Sleep 5:30-5:50
Eat 6:00 nurse
Eat 7:00 6 oz
Bedtime 7:40
WU 12:15 nursed and couldn't get back to sleep until 2:15!!! Then Slept til 5:45

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 15:44:04 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, things have been rather hectic  ::). What I can see is that he 2.5hrs first A works well. The same with the second A as well most of the time. I think yesterday's one was messed up as there was an extra nap in there I see? Probably why she stayed awake 2hrs.

What I want to check is how well she went to sleep on Monday after only an hour A to BT? That was obviously your best night by far so I wonder if we should try and decrease the last A to BT a tad more after the CN, wdyt? xx

Offline buttermilk!

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 17:40:46 pm »
No problem thanks for your help again.

I wish I could remember how bedtime went on Monday. Yesterday we were out with her in the carrier in the afternoon so she took two tiny naps in it. I think I will try 2.5 hours A for the first 2 and then 3 hours before the catnap and then 1.5 hours til bedtime with goal of 7pm. Will report back in a couple days!

Do you have any tips to determine when NW are bc of hunger? Sometimes when she is difficult to put back down after nursing I wonder if she is still hungry, or if it's something else. Last night during the 2 hours she wasn't crying and we weren't even having to do PUPD. She was on her tummy and just flopping around like a little fish. Turning her head side to side and wiggling every 15 seconds or so. She just couldn't settle enough to fall asleep.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 17:44:37 pm by buttermilk! »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:50:26 am »
It is quite difficult to tell. I try and go by a 4hr rule. So if it's before the 4hr mark I'd try and settle using your usual method. If you have fed her, I'd doubt she'd still be hungry. It sounds like she's trying to settle herself which is great xx