Author Topic: 3-month old suddenly resisting naps - HELP!  (Read 995 times)

Offline katerinask

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
3-month old suddenly resisting naps - HELP!
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:40 am »
Hi everyone and great job on the advice and valuable resources! I would really appreciate your take on our LO's change of behaviour towards naps. Here are the facts:

She is almost 3 months old and is a large baby (currently around 14lb - born 9.4lb). She is what the BW would call an Angel baby... Really easy going, not fussy at all, smiley, happy and a great sleeper. She has been sleeping 9-10 hours at night since 2 months (we are really lucky I know!). She was always great with naps, it never took long for her to fall asleep and she could usually manage it alone with very little reassurance. She has been on the EASY routine since 3 weeks and it's been going great!

During the last week she has decided she hates day time naps and screams when she is put down in her cot (she generally never cries - or never used to). We always try to follow her cues and we realise that as a large and very alert baby, she can take more A time before being tired, so we have tried extending her awake time before putting her down. However, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether it's sooner or later (although it is better if she stays up more), she just doesn't want to sleep. She will cry and fight sleep, eventually falling asleep and then staying asleep for a good amount of time (she doesn't wake earlier).

So, our question is...
- What could have changed?
- Is she just older and now realises that it's more fun to be awake?
- Is she becoming grumpier because she is ready for the switch to 4-hour EASY? But then we would have to reduce feeds as well as naps and I'm anxious it's too soon for her to be on 5 feeds a day (she is on 6 now, including a DF). Do you have any experience of 3 month olds being on a 4-hour routine?

I would love to hear your thoughts, because I feel we have been doing so well and don't want to mess things up!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 14:46:21 pm by katerinask »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 3-month old suddenly resisting naps - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 19:17:04 pm »
Sorry your post has been missed, I shall bump this for you, hopefully you will get some advice soon x

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 20:56:57 pm »
Hi

It sounds like you've been doing really well. Babies just like to mix things up a bit, you're not going to mess anything up, please don't worry about that.

Is it possible that your baby is going through a developmental leap (wonder week)? http://www.thewonderweeks.com
That can really throw them off sleep for a short time while they're learning new things/seeing the world differently, then they get back to normal. Sometimes they just need a bit more comfort to fall asleep while they go through this. 

If it were me, I would give her another week or so of continuing to follow her cues with extra comfort at nap time and see if she gets back to her settled self again before making any big changes to her routine.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline katerinask

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 15:29:52 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice! Turns out you were right :) She actually seems to have resettled, although still not as easy to put down as previously. I guess though that it's just part of growing up. It may have been some sort of milestone-reaching period for her, as we've seen big changes in her lately. She is making much more meaningful noises and has started to flip from lying on her tummy, to lying on her back!

Thanks again :)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 19:38:43 pm »
 :) glad she's back on track, and learning new things too. All good  :)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD