Author Topic: Cold + Gangbuster teething! 12 mos  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Laura_kap

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 08, 2016, 19:00:05 pm »
Hello mummies (and Daddies)

I have a 1 year old baby girl (and a 3 yr old boy) who have been sharing the same miserable cold for weeks

My daughter is a late teether, and her first birthday she only had 2 bottom teeth…now she has a top 1/2 way in, the other top just coming through and white bumps as far as the eye can see (hence why I am begging for eyes on this !) as there is no near end in site.

Her current schedule looks like this as best as I can make it happen:

Wake 6am-ish
Breakfast - 7am - eating is not her favourite thing, I can usually get about 3 oz of solids into her most meals
Bottle & Nap - 9 (I try for 3 hours after wake - 1hour- 1.15min capped - usually she only drinks 3-5 oz right now
Lunch - 11am - 3 oz ish
Bottle & Nap - 1:30-ish (3-5 oz bottle is all she will take 50% homo milk/formula - 1-1.5 hour nap capped at 1.5 if needed)
Dinner - 4/4:30 - 3 ish oz of solids
Bath/Bottle/bed - 6:30-7:30 depending on tiredness

She is a very spirited angel…so transitions have always been tough for her.

She is usually night waking around 11pm & 1am…but settles herself usually in a few minutes (but with this cold I usually need to do the snot-sucker and cuddle her back to sleep because she can't breath properly and she gets very frustrated) she is still thumb sucking for comfort which I'd love to shake by now…but I digress….and then at 3:30am she wakes and won't settle without screaming like someone is trying to tear off a limb, so I usually give her a small bottle (3-5oz) because of the tremendous guilt that I feel for not getting enough food into her during the day!  I try to only give her motrin at night….so I give her a dose at bath time 6pm and when she wakes for her feed at 3:30/4am.  I want to try and ditch the night feedings, she started this around 10 months (not teething then) and can't seem to shake it….I'm too tired to think of how to attack this differently because between the 2 congested kids, I haven't slept in a month more than 2 hours per night.

Could she be ready for the 2-1 transition? I'm thinking no….
but on days like last night….same schedule, but she woke herself from her naps at around 45-50 mins per nap…then fussed all stuffy until 11pm, and woke at 3:30 for a bottle…so she only had 7.5 night + just under 2 hours of day sleep = 9.5 hours total….but even with that my spirited angel has had a fun smiling playful morning….(FYI my kids smile and play through almost all sicknesses/injuries, don't hate me, that's just their personalities…but sleep is another issue)

so #1 - how to I catch her up when teething/sick without getter her too much sleep (if she naps more than 2.5 in a day, she has looooooong bouts of night waking/playing/frustration when nobody wants to play with her!)

#2 - how to I navigate this to get her back on track??

any help would be so very much appreciated!
thank you for reading my rambling!

***UPDATE - she just woke herself up from her afternoon nap (went down around 1:30…awake by 2) but now laying playing and thumbsucking……***  so now she is awake at 2pm…so I guess I'll have to put her down for the night around 6pm?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 13:20:50 pm by trimbler »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Cold + Gangbuster teething! 12 mos
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 19:35:16 pm »
Hard though it is (and we've all been there!) I don't think there is a great deal you can do routine-wise when you have total sleep-busters like a heavy cold and teeth in the mix.  In my experience the worst of those is over in a few days though....any longer I'd be looking at props and routine rather than anything else.  My first idea when you are happy you are both ready would be to ditch the night bottle - she doesn't need it (in fact they don't *need* any milk at this age though it can be a perfectly good part of any balanced toddler diet) and it may help her eating in the day if she doesn't take in calories at night.  I'd then probably think about moving along the 2-1 route a bit, she's probably not ready for one nap right away but maybe cutting the first one a little more to make sure you can get in a good uncapped afternoon nap?

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 22:13:50 pm »
thanks for the advice!

I'm so exhausted but I'm hopeful that once she shakes the congestion I can get her back on track…

Its hard to know what is appetite loss because of teething/congestion vs just eating less due to being 1 year old now (she turned 1 on Jan 30th, full term baby)

she eats about 20-30oz per day liquids & solids combined…is that enough at 1 year?

my son was a super-eater..no matter what I gave him - he ate it/drank it dry….he was a textbook, still is. So her spirited nature is a new vantage point for me!

thanks

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 22:17:30 pm »
also - what is the protocol for catching them up after a rough night?  I have both the BW books (baby whisperer answers all your questions, and the toddler book)  and I can't seem to find much on what to do after a rotten night?  any tips to leads to other sections of the site?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Cold + Gangbuster teething! 12 mos
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:54:47 am »
It's hard to give a figure for solids as appetites will vary so much.  I'm not entirely sure I would have been able to quantify what mine ate in oz though - what sort of food is she having?  Milk recommendations are different in each country but here in the UK around half a pint of milk (300mls or so) is enough to fulfil their recommended calcium intake per day.  Solids I would tend to offer a balanced diet and feed to appetite.  If she is growing well and gaining weight roughly in line with her centile on the growth chart the amount she eats doesn't matter too much per se.

There isn't a protocol for catching up really, I guess most of us would just play it by ear a bit and allow an earlier and/or longer nap if needed x

Offline Laura_kap

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 22:13:06 pm »
great - thanks

She seems to have her appetite coming back - but is still runny eyes and green boogies….congested cough…I'll take her to the clinic again tomorrow and have them check ears and chest.

I let her sleep a little longer than her 2 naps 1hr/1.5 hours yesterday and she had a long night wake-party…and a hard time going to bed.  it seems any time I go over that 2.5 hour window of day sleep, I pay for it!

Its always hard when they are teething too, because I don't know what to attribute to the cold vs the mounds of new teeth popping up.  She cut another one yesterday, and it seems like another might be a week or less away.

thanks for the insights!