Author Topic: Short nights after dropping nap  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Short nights after dropping nap
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
Did anyone's nights just not extend after dropping the nap?  This is more curiosity than anything because I doubt there is anything I can do, DS hasn't been napping for a while now (a few months) but his nights never extended...he is still only doing 9/10hrs most nights, sometimes 11hrs.

He is in bed by 8pm but usually doesn't fall asleep until 9pm or later and is up anytime between 6-7am.  Most days he can handle it ok but after a few 9hr nights in a row you can imagine what he's like.  I've tried putting him to bed earlier thinking he's OT but no difference, it just means it's a longer period of time he's horsing around in his bed.  I've always found him to be average sleep needs, maybe slightly in the low side but not too bad. 

Don't know...I'm sure this is just the way his body clock works right now or something.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Short nights after dropping nap
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 13:02:44 pm »
It took months for DD1 to start doing longer nights after dropping the nap. We didn't get any at first like most people do and I would say maybe now 4 months later after consistent no naps she usually does 11 or 11.5hr nights with the odd 12hr here and there.
Lauren

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 13:09:13 pm »
My DS1 has never done the magical 12-13 hour nights. Prob 6 months after nap dropping we get a good consistent 11 hours.
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 14:17:30 pm »
So you are telling me there is still hope!? lol

I don't think he'll ever do 12/13hrs but a consistent 11 would be nice :)

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 14:27:58 pm »
Does he have a good level of activity during the day? This made a difference for us. The other thing was the gro clock: he always had 9 pm bt and he woke almost always around 7 am (I could hear him), probably it was a body clock thing. But as he knew it was still night he usually went back to sleep. Anyway, he never did 12-13 h, but he was consistently at 11 h after few months of nap dropping and kept 11 h until 5 yo.
He is now doing 10 h at 6 yo.
Barbara

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 16:49:37 pm »
I think he gets enough activity...he goes to preschool 3 times a week and they go outside 2 x per day (weather permitting) and if it is too cold to go out they have things like trampolines in their classroom.

I have him home Tuesday's and Thursday's and we go to a playgroup one day and he has swimming lessons on the other.  That's pretty much all I can manage, going outside in 3ft of snow with a 2 month old isn't exactly feasible lol.  Plus, we are into the deep freeze so it was -31C today...outside is not happening lol, so I just try to get him to indoor activities.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 17:54:15 pm »
Lol yes there hope. My DS is just an early waker so we accept 7.15bt 6.15wu.

Mine needs lots of activity but it's hard when it's raining and cold (not your level of cold though) and my 2 week old needs a feed! Lots of hide and seek indoors, up and down the stairs and hope it tires him enough lol x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:59:12 pm »
Over the last few weeks DS has been going to bed better, but he is now waking earlier.  He used to wake around 7 and now we are getting into 5:30/6 territory.  He was a chronic EWer for the first 2.5yrs of his life so I really don't want to go back there.  A few nights this week have only been 9hrs.  Do you think it's OT? He's typically in bed for 8pm but maybe we should be aiming for earlier (though here are a decent amount of 7:30pm BTs, we kind of judge it day by day).

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 13:10:32 pm »
I'd prob go earlier but then 9 hours were often developmental for us and not a lot altered it but I'd think OT x
Zoe

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:23:48 pm »
Ew at this time of the year was always linked to clock change for us. it went better after clock change. It seems thet ds's body feels the difference in light change.
Barbara

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:46 pm »
Our clocks haven't changed yet so it is still dark when he's having the EWs.  He literally woke at 5:30am from birth until 2.5yrs and then he finally started sleeping later.  I swear EWs are just engrained in his DNA.

Last night he was in bed at 7:30 but horsed around until somewhere between 8:30/9pm before he fell asleep (after being awake since 5:30am) and then he was up at 4:45am this morning!! I tried to get him back to sleep but couldn't and the DH laid with him and he fell back asleep from about 6-7:30am.  What the heck is going on!?

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 14:09:30 pm »
I meant that we always have ew BEFORE the clock change, starting from one month before to just after. When the clock change it goes into place. I think he feels that body clock needs a switch when spring comes. But this is my ds, there could be something else... Possibly developmental.
Barbara

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 19:42:35 pm »
Oh yes...could be.  We are also fairly close to his 4th birthday so could be developmental.  He's had he same routine for a while now so I really don't think his sleep needs have magically shifted so much that he's ok with 9hr nights. 

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 07:01:15 am »
My DS1 has started waking in the night and at 5.45am must be the age as he's 4 yrs in a couple of months! At least your not alone  :) x
Zoe