Author Topic: Possible colic in 7 week old DD and mommy is dying a slow death.  (Read 889 times)

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hi there. I am having some major sleep deprivation so I'll try to be as clear as I can.

My 7week old DD has been doing this for about the last 4 weeks. Started out with her being nocturnal, as many babies are, but I quickly came to realize that she just screams. I think that a lot of this is gas, because I have a crazy let down that chokes her. With all the screaming she is scrunching up her face, kicking and passing a lot of gas. I have tried gas drops, colic drops, reduced dairy intake, and now block feeding (two feeds on one side before switching to other) to make sure she is getting enough hind milk. We have been to the pediatrician about this (who wasn't very helpful) and I have started speaking with a lactation consultant.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting on EASY schedule because of this. Also because my house is very noisy and active (5yo DD & 2yo DS). Sometimes she wants to sleep the whole day away and other times she is very unsettled and is having a bunch of interrupted naps. She mainly takes naps in her stroller so I can move her around the house. At night she is still in the bassinet next to me. Could the stroller and bassinet be part of the problem? I don't know. Maybe the noise in the house is starting to affect her.

So when I'm ready to put her down for the night, I feed her and bring her up. Even if she is very drowsy or even sound asleep, as soon as I get up to my bedroom she snaps awake and the crying begins. It usually takes me 1-2 hours to get her to go back to sleep. I cannot put her I. The bassinet awake so far, I have had to pace around the room with her screaming her brains out. As soon as she looks like she's out of it, I lay her down, she snaps awake, and the cycle begins again. Over and over and over.

Then she wakes up at least once in the middle of the night. Sometimes I get VERY lucky and I can feed her and she goes right back to sleep, but the vast majority of the time, I end up pacing around my bedroom with her for about 1.5-2 hours. I am delirious with exhaustion, stumbling around, tripping and off balance in the dark. She seems to only calm down if she is being walked around. Sitting and rocking or breastfeeding doesn't seems to satisfy her. 

Can someone offer some words of wisdom? We're hurting real bad over here.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Possible colic in 7 week old DD and mommy is dying a slow death.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »
Have you tried white noise and swaddling? It made a big change here with my son who also was colicky baby.
~Marta

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »
Get a sling.  It'll hold her in an upright-ish position so hopefully her tum won't hurt so much, and most babies this age will sleep really well in a sling (for longer than in other places).  It'll let you move around better too and keep up with the others.  Also, get some help. Seriously, if you can at all, have someone (grandparents? others?) watch the other children so you can sleep. When DH is around, his job is to do whatever helps you rest.  Hopefully the LC can help too.

Have a look here:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 22:36:28 pm »
Thanks for your responses! I tried swaddling and white noise in the crib today for the nap, instead of just keeping her with me in the stroller. She seems to be having a much better nap. I will start using the crib in her own room tonight and get her out of the bassinet in my room.

Looking online for a sling. Do you have any recommendations?
Will be looking into the links you posted, thanks!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 00:08:55 am »
Re: Anyone want to chat about babywearing? this thread has lots of good info on baby wearing if you want to post for ideas! I loved a moby style wrap for the tiny days myself - DD3 napped in one for the first few months of her life.
Heidi

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 00:39:12 am »
Just be sure to check SIDS guidelines wherever you are. It is usually recommended to keep babies sharing a room for night time sleep til 6 mos or older. :) but great that swaddling helps!

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.