Author Topic: Are my LN causing EWs?  (Read 965 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2016, 16:59:37 pm »
Hi there,
My toddler is 2yrs 8m. For the last week or so he has been waking an hour earlier than usual, 7am. I have been putting him down quite late (9:30 even 10pm) as he has been napping late (3-5pm).
So basically at the moment we are
WU 7am
Nap 3-5pm
S 10pm

I am happy to cap the nap, and the earliest I can put him down for his nap is 2:30pm cause of nursery. But 8am WU would be better (it was that for a long long time) and I'd like him to go to bed earlier....he just doesn't seem tired and I hear him chatting to himself in bed sometimes until 10:30/10:45 pm. Where am I going wrong? Any routine suggestions please?
I'd like to keep the nap as long as I can as he gets overtired plus I need to work that little time he naps.
Thank so much  :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Are my LN causing EWs?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 17:41:49 pm »
I think you would have to do the nap at 2:30 and cap it to get a decent bedtime! 10:30 is only 5.5 hrs A from the end of the nap so if the nap was a bit shorter (say an hour) then you might get away with an 8 pm bedtime. Any longer and you would have to have a late bedtime...which I imagine is leaving him ot.
Heidi

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 20:56:59 pm »
is the OT causing the early wakings?
would 9pm be a late BT? (asking cause DH finishes work at 8:15 and usually does his bath etc)
would 2;30-4pm be too long for a nap to do the 9pm bt?
Sorry for the many questions! Could you please suggest a routine?
many thanks in advance  :)

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 22:20:39 pm »
If 9 pm works for you guys as a bedtime I don't see why not. How long does he generally sleep at night? I think that the routine will depend on that really. The later nap can work as long as everything else is shifted.

The ew could be either ot or ut...I intially think ot because the late nap makes bedtime so.late and then overnight sleep suffers. But could also be he needs less nap time too - how have his sleep needs usually been? High, low or fairly average?
Heidi

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 17:41:03 pm »
Thanks again  :)
He used to be high needs and now I'd say average. So if we do the nap at 2:30 and aim for a 9/9:15BT how long should the nap be? And also to aim for a 8wu? Am I asking for too much lol?!
Thanks x

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:32 am »
I think an 11 hour night is fairly reasonable, perhaps once the nap is gone that may get longer. I would think maybe a 2:30-4:00 nap to give a good 5 hr A to bed if needed (though with a long morning A this may need tweaking). Just be cautious of it causing ut and bt settling/nw issues as you go.
Heidi

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 15:38:11 pm »
Thank you for your help  :)