Author Topic: Could it be the 18 month sleep regression?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Could it be the 18 month sleep regression?
« on: February 15, 2016, 14:21:30 pm »
Hi all,

I am at a bit of a loss with my 15.5 month old ds. He has always been a pretty good sleeper. He moves into one nap early (at ten months) as he has always had fairly high a times and is lsn. He made the transition really easily and was pulling 2.5-3 hour naps. I had to start capping the nap pretty quickly as the day sleep started stealing from the night and for the past couple of months he has been having a capped 2 hour nap. This has led to him lengthening his night to 11-11.5 hours which is amazing. His schedule is as follows:

Wu 6
Nap 12.15-2.15
Bt 6.45

He has just cut all four molars so sleep obviously went a bit wonky due to that and we pulled back bt to help him with the ot that developed. We were back on track it seemed but are now getting both nap and bt resistance (mainly during wind down routine but I am having to ssh him a little once he is in the cot too) and he is waking mid nap screaming. He has always self-settled easily with just my voice over the monitor but today I had to go in and hold him for ten mins. He started to calm down every so often but then got wound up again so in the end I put him back down and almost immediately he stopped crying and went back to sleep! Is this a routine problem do you think? I can't push the nap much further back without capping it and he seems to young for less than a two hour nap? Is this the regression super early? Any help appreciated.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Could it be the 18 month sleep regression?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:38:29 am »
It could just be separation anxiety coupled with teething...I know we had many phases of SA - currently she is afraid of the big bad wolf after watching a Dora episode! Would he take the nap any earlier? (Has he always had his nap at that time since switching to one?). It is a pretty short A to bed which makes me think UT but perhaps that is only a small part of it.
Heidi

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 13:38:00 pm »
The nap has moved back a lot since he first transitioned but I have only ever moved it when he indicated that he needed it moving (ie consistently waking early from the nap or messing about for a while before going to sleep). I'm not sure if he would take it any earlier. He has always done a short a to bed and seems to get ot if I try to push it much past 4.5 hours a. I think separation anxiety is definitely plying a part so I will do everything I can to help him with that. I will also try medicating again to see if that helps.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:06:50 am »
Ah yes lots of them do like a short A to bed. So might be just a case of needing reassurance from you, and tbh most tikes my kids reverted back to this after their blip wss over things sorted back to normal reasonably well!
Heidi