Author Topic: 2 Year old fighting sleep :(  (Read 1021 times)

Offline cgf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 16, 2016, 00:55:57 am »
So, my 21-month old, who has been "babywhispererd" and self soothing almost since newborn, is suddnely for the first time compeltely resisting sleep and naps. His usual sched is wakeup anytime between 6 and 730ish, nap 12-2/230/3, bt 730. He always went down like a champ, awake, with a paci and blankie. Last night he resisted until 11 pm.. becoming more and more OT. Its soo unusual for him, I was completely stumped. Today at naptime as well, and tonight I put him to sleep singing/rocking. I don't want to go down this bad route of becoming a prop for him, but im at a complete loss... what to do? Is pu/pd appropriate for this age?
He is not sick, ive had him checked out. No major changes in our lives, and his room is same as always, darkening shades, noise machine.... what could this be??? and what to do about it??Thank you.

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 2 Year old fighting sleep :(
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:16:44 am »
This isn't much help, but we went through some really weird sleep regression around 2yrs.  I thought for sure my DS was going to drop the nap (even though he desperately needed it) and BT was horrendous, but it was just kind of a phase and then all went back to normal.

It might be possible he's UT for his nap, could you try pushing it out a bit? 12:30 or 1?

Offline cgf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:55:07 am »
UT for his nap as in, not ready to nap by noon? Hes beenn waking up kinda early recently, like in teh 6s so I feel like hes ready but not sure?

So tonigth I read to him and gave snuggles etc on the couch and then took him to his room, we had an elongated nice bedtime routine (i was wondering if maybe hes seeking a little more time alone with us at bedtime, his older brother is very high needs and has been taking the lion share of attention around here ) he went to bed right away I was so happy. Now he woke up (12;45 am and has been up for an hour) the only thing thats calming him down is singing/rocking/let him lay on me. He woke up his big brother from all his crying, and I'm rlly losing it. THeyve both been up for over an hour andf im beside myself. I really dont want to get him accustomed to singing/rocking to sleep. What is this coming from and what do i do about it?? Soemone help this stressed overtired Mom :(

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 2 Year old fighting sleep :(
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 19:54:54 pm »
Has he been average sleep needs?  At a certain point my DS started needing a 6-7hr A time before a nap so it is possible that if he's waking at 6 he might not be ready at noon - does he generally fall asleep easily for his nap?  He other thing I am wondering is his activity time, if he's burning enough energy so to speak :).

I fluke I said I don't have much advice, just that something really wonky happened with my DS at that time but it did all settle back to normal.