Author Topic: 4 m.o. twins: Starting PU/PD?  (Read 835 times)

Offline rc2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 16, 2016, 17:04:04 pm »
I have twins that are almost 4 months. We discovered Baby Whisperer about a month ago, and have been following them ever since. The twins are loving the EASY schedule and using the shush-pat has been a life-saver for extending naps (particularly for our girl).

However, I'm conscious that we're needing to transition to a 4-hour EASY soon, and we're definitely going to need to use some PU/PD to help our babies extend their naps to two hours. The problem is, even after reading two of the Baby Whisperer books, I'm not sure I quite understand how to do the PU/PD properly. Do you put them down the second they stop crying, or do you wait for their body to relax before you put them down? I feel like I read conflicting things, and maybe I'm just nervous that it won't work. (Partially this might be because I've found much more success with my girl doing the shush-pat in my arms, waiting until her body relaxes, and then moving her down in the crib and finishing the shush-pat there. She doesn't fall asleep in my arms, but just seems to calm down enough to help herself fall asleep in the crib. If I try to put her down right when she stops crying - but she's still agitated - she'll just cry harder when I put her down.)

I'm particularly worried about using PU/PD with my boy. He's the calmer/easier of the two, and most of the time we're able to calm him with a shush-pat in the crib. However, if he's really agitated and I try to pick him up, it just seems to make it worse (as in - he starts crying harder). Then, after holding him for a few minutes (with no real change in the crying) I'll try to put him back down in the crib, and he'll keep crying at that same intensity. What am I missing here? Do I need to do something to adapt it for my boy? Help, please!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:20:37 am »
Hi Honey not always PUPD is a solution as for spirited kids it may wind them up rather than calm them down. In terms of extending naps - how long are they now? Extending nap from 1:15/1:30 to 2:00 will be almost impossible with PUPD. With 45min naps I would probably go for shhh/pat or holding through the joint or w2s.
~Marta