Author Topic: 4-7am strange behaviour & NW  (Read 4742 times)

Offline SassyJs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 18, 2016, 23:18:41 pm »
My 9 week LO has been displaying strange behaviour for the past few nights in a week. She used to be able to go for DF, NFs 3am or 1am & 5am till 7am.

Now from 4am -7am she seems to be in light sleep, especially from 5am onwards she flails her arms (escapes from swaddle), grunts, kicks her legs and try to suck fists/scratches face and shaking head with eyes closed. I think she is trying to get back to sleep so I re swaddle but doesn't seem to work. I unswwaddle she seems happier and all is peaceful for 2 minutes before she starts again.

After 15 minutes she gets frustrated and wakes up. She won't take a full feeding either. So I gather she is not hungry?

Is she learning to self soothe? I put the pacifier back but she just spits it out or screams further.
Help! Is it a developmental blip?

My EASY in the day is already haywire with lots of short naps.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 23:20:55 pm by SassyJs »

Offline greensheepy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:56:28 am »
Hi there

We had a similar issue actually and discovered that it was due to wind. Our LO has reflux and although she has been gaining weight just fine and is not in distress, we find she needs a good burping to settle down.

Do you hold her vertically when you feed? You might also try holding her vertically for about 30 min after the NF before putting her down.

This helped us quite a bit! Sometimes she still wakes but we burp her and she goes back down.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 4-7am strange behaviour & NW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:08:01 am »
Yup, sounds like wind to me as well.  At that time of day, lots of babies seem to get quite windy, lord knows why but it can make them very loud.  That was my least favourite time of day when my babies slept in our room because they were so loud and we just could not go back to sleep.  Try to get in good burps after the night feedings and hopefully that will help a bit.