Author Topic: Newborn with reflux only want to sleep on my chest  (Read 698 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Newborn with reflux only want to sleep on my chest
« on: February 19, 2016, 13:23:54 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm here looking for advices on my 2 weeks old baby. She has been diagnosed with silent reflux and is bottle fed with a prescribed milk formula. No Zantac or any meds for now.

Things started to go wrong about a week ago as we discovered it was reflux. She needs to be held upright for at least 30-40 min after her feedings and she ends up falling asleep in our arms. I know it's not a good habit and now the only way she would settle at night is on my chest. I have difficulties to let her cry or fuss as she wakes up her brother (who is 13 months). She's not on any particular schedule now although we try to follow the eat wake sleep pattern. Sometimes she needs the pacifier in order to fall asleep (40-50% of the time). She sleeps on her back, swaddled,  with a reclined mattress in a Moses basket near our bed.

So... Anyone got a trick for me?? ;D I'm kind of sleep deprived now

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Newborn with reflux only want to sleep on my chest
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 14:15:50 pm »
Awhh honey I feel your pain I have a 3 week old no reflux diagnosed but definite wind issues and general discomfort.

I really wouldn't expect too much more than your getting at the minute as they are so tiny. I'd just go with what works for now, it's too young really for bad habits to form.

I was paranoid with DS1 about bad habits but the first 12 weeks really are more about getting through the rough but, currently I'm sat with DS2 asleep on my knee, last night fell asleep with him in my arms then on my chest....all no no's but meant I had a sleep x
Zoe

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Newborn with reflux only want to sleep on my chest
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 16:25:53 pm »
If you need to resort to wearing her for now so she sleeps and you aren't actively holding her, then go for it. There's time to sort it out once she feels better.

My DD#1 had AWFUL reflux starting around 2 weeks that finally resolved around 4-1/2 months; once we got Zantac, that helped a LOT with the pain and she was able to be horizontal without it hurting her.