Author Topic: How to break the OT cycle??? Very long night wakings.  (Read 906 times)

Offline Amycf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to break the OT cycle??? Very long night wakings.
« on: February 21, 2016, 16:25:06 pm »
Hi friends,

I am posting after 3 hrs of broken, desperate co- sleeping last night! My 6 month old girl, is now incredibly overtired and won't nap today either....I'm desperately seeking help so that tonight is not a repeat!

My lo has been on and off with her sleeping....at 3/4 months she was sleeping 5/6 hrs between feeds...we thought we had it mastered 😛 She has never gone to sleep independently....somethng we know we need to correct. Instead she is nursed and then rocked to sleep. We have tried shh/ pat ( which worked when she was younger, but now stimulates, and pu/pd which has never ever worked and makes her escalate horribly. But that is a separate post and question!

Last evening, my husband and I went t to a birthday party. We have only gone out long enough  to miss a feed 3 times max. My mother stayed with her ( she is very comfortable with mom) and fed her at 11 pm when she woke with expressed milk. She went back to sleep easily and then woke around 11:45 again crying. She was up and down, with my mom, until 12:15 am when we arrived home. She was crying, so I went to her. She only got worse so I nursed her, despite her having been fed an hour previous.she would not settle. I rocked and rocked until she fell asleep. She woke again 10 mins later crying. My husband went in a tried. This repeated with us taking turns until 3 am when she was crying so hard I turned on light to take her temperature to see if it was an issue. I also gave her saline drops since she was a  little congested. She was the wide awake ! I took he the bed with me and nursed her to sleep, where she stayed for three hours. That was it! We had 3 hrs of sleep!:(

I feel that part of the problem was that eventually she got too overtired to sleep. Now we are struggling horribly with naps today. She will not sleep for more than 10 minutes!

What do we do now??? How do we keep her form being so overtired that she does not sleep again tonight? How do we cope and have patience with so little sleep?

Any help or suggestions from you would be so appreciate today!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: How to break the OT cycle??? Very long night wakings.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 16:12:34 pm »
Hi, sorry you have not has a response yet - how did your day go?

Could it be teeth or that she coming down with something do you think?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 17:34:42 pm »
(((Hugs))) I agree sounds more to it than just OT, I'm aware others may not be so comfortable doing this as I am but when mine are really struggling to settle like that I tend to try a dose of pain meds to see if it helps.  Hope you've all caught up a bit today x

Offline Amycf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 23:16:15 pm »
Thanks ladies for the support ! Yes, it turns out that she caught a head cold and was congested the next day.  We have had a rough few days of being really overtired , but nothing as bad as that night.

My question still stands though ...what do I do when I have a really bad night like that. How do you get back on schedule and try and end the cycle? We ares till caught in the cycle,a DJ even car naps ar only lasting a half hour:( I have struggled eight this before. How do I recharge her so we can get back on a easy routine ( well our best attempt at it!)?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:27:54 am »
Shorten A times a little, but not too much.  So maybe 10-15 mins shorter and hopefully she'll have a good nap.  Failing that I've always found a few days of an early bedtime to be very helpful x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 22:03:59 pm »
Hi I agree with PP. TBH when they are poorly or really OT I would use whatever prop I could to help them, so if it is staying till they are asleep then I would do that x