Author Topic: Just started PU/PD - advice needed  (Read 1072 times)

Offline bn2016

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 21, 2016, 17:32:37 pm »
Just started using PU/PD yesterday with my 4.5 month old! He's a mix of grumpy and touchy I think!  Yesterday he managed to sleep for short whiles at each nap - but today he has just cried for the full 2 hrs (with only very short periods of settling). I know from reading the book that they can take a long time to settle but is this normal? He's now missed the last 2 naps! And must be exhausted! We have given him a 10 min break after 45 min crying as I read that on the board somewhere. any advice would be really appreciated! Also how can you tell if pupd overstimulates your baby? Thanks xx

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Just started PU/PD - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 00:00:32 am »
I would say if he cried for 2 hrs that PU/PD is probably not the right method for him.  PU/PD is not a great tool for Spirited babies and it may be that it's not a good match for your guy.  For what it's worth, I only used Shhh-Pat with my boys and they are the most chill babies, they just found Shh-Pat more soothing. 
In regards to settling, most babies take about 20-30 mins to really settle into their nap.  They may grouse and wiggle about and they may even do a half-hearted mantra cry (doesn't change in volume or tone and will start and stop).  However if your baby starts to genuinely cry his "I need you1", please do go to him. 

Offline bn2016

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:27:05 am »
Thanks for your reply! When you were doing shush pat with your boys - did you keep them lying in the cot the whole time? And if they cried properly (not mantra) did you then keep shushing and Patton them lying in the cot or would you pick them up and shush pat? Last night and this morning he's only taken 20 mins of pupd along with shush/pat to get to sleep! And don't worry we're not leaving him to cry - I just couldn't do that!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Just started PU/PD - advice needed
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 22:17:24 pm »
That's great news all around!  I didn't think you were doing CC or CIO but I just needed to be sure  ;)
I always did Shh-Pat with my boys on my shoulder.  My wrist and forearm used to seize up from being at a weird angle for longer than a minute.  It worked out because they both found it more soothing.  Really either way works.  I probably ended up swaying a bit as well because I do that automatically whenever I stand still (I teach Choir.  I'm a human metronome  ::))