Author Topic: 15 month old refusing nap  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Freckles1981

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 21, 2016, 21:12:53 pm »
Hi there

My son is 15 months old and has been on a lunchtime nap at nursery for the last 6 weeks or so, and over the last two weeks, we've managed to transition to 1 nap at home soon after lunch.

The last 4 days, he has refused to nap. I've been trying up to around 13:00 and then giving up and taking him in the car or for a walk in the pram, and he will then sleep. If we let him sleep past 14:00, we struggle to get him settled for bed at 19:00.

Do you have any ideas why he might now be refusing to nap in his cot? Nothing has changed routine wise, and he's been really good for the last few months with his sleep, so it's unlike him to scream when putting him down. He is usually up for the day between 06:30 & 07:00am.

Also, as he gets older, will the lunchtime nap start to move later in the day, as his awake times lengthen out again? I thought the lunchtime nap would continue for a while yet :-(

Thanks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 15 month old refusing nap
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 14:27:27 pm »
Hi, we did have a phase of refusing a nap at that age and did what your doing a walk or drive. Maybe you need to push nap a bit later so he's tired enough? If he's sleeping pretty much 12 hours and having a 12 hour day he might need a bit later bedtime...it's quite common to have a 13 hour day with a nap at this age. Yes nap will get later and then you may have to start capping it when the day gets too long x
Zoe

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 21:04:10 pm »
I just wonder if he is may be overtired? some signs seem very much like that. may be you could try squeezing catnap in your day. resisting bed at 7pm could be that too (odd as it sounds).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 21:56:57 pm »
I would also bet on OT if he is in the nursery and just transitioned to one nap. Or maybe problem with settling? How is he being settled in the nursery?
~Marta