Author Topic: 2.5yr old nightwaking furiously angry & upset  (Read 905 times)

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
2.5yr old nightwaking furiously angry & upset
« on: February 22, 2016, 13:03:44 pm »
My son is 2.5yrs old and has pretty much dropped his nap now. He was ill last week, so naps came back for a few days, but for the last 4-5 days we've been back to NNDs.

He has been sleeping pretty well after the NNDs, either right through or 1 short NW that just needed a cuddle or a drink.

Last night though he woke up at 11pm saying he was hungry and thirsty (this has been common since his bug as he hasn't been eating so well) but I offered both and he didn't want anything and just got absolutely furious. It was like dealing with the exorcist & he was very upset.

He was screaming at me that he was hungry/thirsty then at me to go away and was  throwing himself around the bed (I was very calmly telling him he couldn't get up & had to stay with me on the bed) then kept crawling into my lap sobbing until he finally calmed down. He took about a hour to fully calm down (and then he had a small drink & snack) and  I think and he was back asleep in total about 1.5 hours after he woke.

This was way beyond any daytime tantrums he's had and was actually quite frightening at times, although I stayed calm to help him through whatever the big emotions were that were coming out. We have had one other episode like this, again after a NND so I'm suspecting it is OT related but just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 13:07:25 pm by KatyBee »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5yr old nightwaking furiously angry & upset
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 14:23:01 pm »
Hugs that's sounds hard work, nothing similar happened here but would say it's from OT.

Wax he actually awake or was it like a night terror?
Zoe

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 16:51:30 pm »
Thanks Haribo... he was definitely wide awake, so fairly sure it wasn't a night terror. I tried to get him to nap today to help with OT issues, but he just wouldn't, so aiming for a 6pm bedtime instead, although not 100% convinced he'll go that earth. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 16:55:02 pm »
Good luck for tonight - hopefully last night was a one off x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 18:44:20 pm »
Sometimes they surprise us, fingers crossed x
Zoe

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:09 am »
Thank you both - I put him down at 6pm last night and he STTN until 5:30am. Hopefully he's caught up a bit and we won't get any repeats.

Still curious if anyone has experienced this kind of 'night rage' though, it was very bizarre as even when OT normally he's either cheerful or just a bit whiny/sensitive.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:35 am »
that is a good amount of sleep  :)  we have never experienced it but I know others have. It could be part of a developmental leap they experience around the half birthday day mark x

Offline cmschapp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 21:05:07 pm »
It seems like we are going through this now but it also happens at nap time. I think my son was trying to ditch his nap too. Even me or DH holding DS doesn't calm him. If we ask him questions about his day it distracts him enough that he will start answering and start calming down. Then that leads to going back to bed. Not sure if it will help or not. It does seem like our crying/tantrums are getting shorter so hopefully yours do the same.