Author Topic: Sleep training 8 mo old when sharing a room?  (Read 916 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Sleep training 8 mo old when sharing a room?
« on: February 22, 2016, 17:17:12 pm »
Hello!

I have been having issues with my 8.5 month old DS for a couple of weeks now where he has a hard time self settling to sleep and back to sleep. We want to transition him back to the crib a sap as we have been co sleeping. I helped him learn how to self settle around 4 months. However, in the last couple of weeks has trouble doing so and in thinking maybe he needs to learn to fall asleep without me in the room. Usually I'll sing a lullaby and he will drift off. But lately, he will play and get agitated. I do realize that it's partly a routine issue which I am working on with another mod  on the Naps board.

My husband and I are gearing up for a crib transition hoping that NW will go back down and that he can relearn to self settle. I don't knowing its SA or a wonder week he's in but he likes me to be next to him while he falls asleep.

I want to do the gradual weaning/withdrawal method. How do we do this when we share a room? We live in a one bedroom so separate rooms are not an option.

Basically I need a break down of steps to take and timeline. We hope to start this week or definitely next week.

Thank you!
Jennifer xx

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Sleep training 8 mo old when sharing a room?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 13:58:40 pm »
I think if you do gradual withdrawal to leave the room, both at bedtime and for naps. In the middle of the night you can just reassure him with your voice without necessarily having to get up and go to him in his crib.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 15:05:17 pm »
So do I reassure him with my words from my own bed or by the crib?

Also, is there a link that explains how to do gradual withdrawal step by step? That's the same thing as gradual weaning correct?

He has a cold and a bad cough but no fever, do I wait until he's better to start?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 18:19:25 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 18:52:44 pm »
So do I reassure him with my words from my own bed or by the crib?
I'd try and do it from your own bed, with a view to being out of the room before he falls to sleep. If his crying is escalating, you can go to the crib and try to soothe him. Both of mine were really hard to calm down at this age, but at least being by the crib they knew they weren't alone and they did eventually go to sleep.

Quote (selected)
Also, is there a link that explains how to do gradual withdrawal step by step? That's the same thing as gradual weaning correct?
I thought there was one but had a quick look around and can't find it. Basically you will try to calm him by patting him, or stroking his head, or whatever, and when he calms down you gradually stop what you're doing and take a step away from the crib. If he starts to escalate, you go back to him, if he stays the same or calms down you take another step away.

Quote (selected)
He has a cold and a bad cough but no fever, do I wait until he's better to start?
I'd wait, so you feel confident and not feel like you should stop sleep training.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 19:18:47 pm »
ok I feel about waiting to make sure he doesn't make his throat worse with crying.

So my question is do I take a step away in the next couple of days? Or is it all in one night? I think I may be thinking of another method.
Jennifer xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 19:37:14 pm »
I would not try to guess before you start how it is going to go. If you can get towards the door with him still staying calm, do that. But you might find you need to stay by his crib until he falls asleep on the first night, and then you can start taking steps away the next night. He might cry for ages but you might also be surprised. My oldest would cry SO HARD for a long time and then quite suddenly go calm and settle to sleep without me in the room.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 20:57:01 pm »
Ohhhhh ok that makes sense. Now if he gets hysterical do I pick up? Or do I just try my best to soothe him in the crib? What if he doesn't calm down then what?
Jennifer xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:52 am »
I think you have to play it by ear. My two got more furious with me when I picked them up so I just tried to settle them in the crib. If you do pick him up, keep it short - at this age pick up put down can wind them up so just see what works for you two.

For naps you try for 45 mins, and if he's still not settling then you abandon the nap for now and try again later. At bedtime you keep trying until he sleeps - he won't cry forever!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 16:26:32 pm »
Ok! Yea he get riled up when I do PU/PD. He gets hysterical. Usually if its when he's Ut or OT or didn't get a good wind down. So my only option is soothing in the crib. However, if it gets really crazy I pick up.

I don't imagine it being too bad but we shall see. We will be doing crib transition and gradual withdrawal. I can start with naps since he already naps in his crib. Usually I just hum a lullaby. I now longer put my hand on him unless he gets worked up. Would that be advisable?

Jennifer xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 19:21:24 pm »
Sounds like you're doing great! A hand on him when he's worked up sounds good.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 21:49:32 pm »
Thank you Anna! Hoping that this translates to night time  :o
Jennifer xx