Author Topic: Rolling over and can't self settle anymore.  (Read 708 times)

Offline Fifilottie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Rolling over and can't self settle anymore.
« on: February 22, 2016, 22:03:05 pm »
Hi,

My DS has just turned 7 months. I have worked hard at teaching him to SS and we were really getting somewhere. However he was poorly but we were just about getting back on track until now where he insists on rolling on his tummy. In this position he either cries or looks around and coos, bangs around etc..This bedtime I had to keep turning him over onto his back as was scared he might hurt himself. He was very upset and just kept re rolling. I ended up rocking him to sleep and have had to do this quite a few time in the past three days. I am gutted, months of hard work down the pan. He also gets annoyed with shh pat and he is too old for that now. Last time I tried PU/pd he got frantic and then just kind of got passed tired to awake again. .if that makes sense. Is it worth trying again? Is it possible he wants to sleep on his tummy? A few times in the morning he has woken on his tummy.

I am hoping this is a common problem and someone may come to my rescue. Thank you.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Rolling over and can't self settle anymore.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:36:47 am »
I'm so sorry your post was missed, please accept my apologies I've had so much personal stuff going on atm that's it's been difficult to get on.

How's it going now? It is a common problem, but it's still irritating isn't it? Especially after you've worked so hard to get him to self settle... Wait until they realise they can stand up and can't get back down  ::).

It will get better, give him plenty of practice time rolling during A time if you can. Once he can roll back again it tends to get easier.

Sometimes pu/pd can irritate some bubbas, have you tried ssh/pat instead? Xx

Offline Fifilottie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:53 am »
Thank you Kelly

It has been ok so far today. I am trying now to put him down when he is really really drowsy although I like it if he can get himself to that state. We do more of a AES as he is a very over stimulated baby and feeding calms him. He won't feed to sleep though so that is good. .i have just tried to feed for a bit longer and that seems to have worked. Have also extended his A time a bit. I will ride through it. . .and yes this will be a mild problem compared to when he starts crawling, standing. .oh the joy :)

Ps shh pat was my saviour in the early months, it really does work, but he now tries to push my hands away so can't rely on it. Shame really.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:30:54 am »
With any developments leap it usually coincided with a need to push the A times slightly. So glad you've found something that works for you.

Do keep up with the ssh/pat if you can. If he's pushing your hand away, try just holding his shoulder or applying a little bit of pressure without the patting. If yours is a easily stimulated bubba the patting might irritate him. I still use a ssh/rub on the shoulder for DD now!! Xx