Author Topic: 22 month old waking each night and screaming for hours!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline BabyGeorgia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22 month old waking each night and screaming for hours!
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:59 am »
Hi all,

For the last few weeks, my lovely dd has started waking in the night, somewhere between 1am & 3am. She used to stir and cry a little, but either go back off on her own, or with a bit of shhh-ing over the monitor.

Now she wakes, and gets more and more upset. She goes quiet with shhh-ing, but wakes up again after a couple of minutes crying again, getting more and more wound up. She will cry out/scream for toys that she wants, mummy, daddy, medicine, anything.

Going in to her doesn't seem to help. Not going in doesn't help either. She wakes my 4 year old too, and we're all very tired!

I think we must have made a bad decision about how to handle the wakings at some point, which has now stuck. Any ideas how to get ourselves back on track?

Thank you! !!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 22 month old waking each night and screaming for hours!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:55 am »
Hi there urghh night waking are exhausting.

Does she still nap? What's her day look like? Any teeth on the move like big molars?

Sorry for all the questions  ;D
Zoe

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 14:33:12 pm »
Hi - thanks for responding :)

She does nap 4 or 5 days a week. She has an older sister, whose routine generally dictates nap time opportunities! Today youngest dd screamed at nap time too. I had to put her back to bed about 6 times and then she screamed "cuddle daddy" for about 20 minutes before falling asleep.

On a normal day, she'll wake around 6.45am, have breakfast at 7-7.30am, then lunch around 11.45am. If possible I'll then put her down for a nap from 1-3pm & she'll have dinner around 4.45pm. She'll normally have a bath at 6ish, then bed for 7pm. Sometimes we go out in the morning, sometimes after lunch, but we always have a structured activity every day and we're always home by 4pm.

Dd does have her 2nd set of molars still to come, so did wonder if it was teeth. If so, what's the best way to approach that, do you think? Should I assume it's teething and go in to give medicine straight away without talking to her? Am concerned that I'm on the edge of starting some very bad habits!

Many thanks for your help xxxxx
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 14:37:31 pm by BabyGeorgia »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 21:45:06 pm »
She could need the nap cutting a little or day making a little longer could be UT but I'd prob try medicating to rule out teeth for a couple of nights just to see.

Don't worry bad habits can be fixed  ;) xxx
Zoe

Offline BabyGeorgia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 13:23:45 pm »
Thank you so much! She was actually a little better last night,  so am keeping everything crossed! Thanks for the support :-)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 16:13:45 pm »
Keep us posted  :) xx
Zoe