Author Topic: 15 weeks old NW and crying before getting to sleep  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Katrix

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 weeks old NW and crying before getting to sleep
« on: February 24, 2016, 19:53:01 pm »
Pplesse help.
I try to keep my little girl on EASY schedule but lately it's getting out of control and I am starting to loose my cool.
Here is what I try to do:
 6-6.30 E
And here starts my confusion. She falls immediately to sleep again and she'd wake around 7.30-8 am and she is ok to wait for food by 9am. I
have the feeling she can even wait longer. But when I put her on the breast she suckles for 5 min and then starts bouncing on and off and twisting and turning her head. She kinda eats for 10 min like this and sometimes spits everything on the pillow, sometimes when I try to burn her. Not always.

By around 9.45-10.15 she is ready for a nap but as you can expect would wake around 11. She sleeps longer when we are out or when I leave her to sleep in the pram, but at the same time  I don't want it to be too long :)
12 pm E
1-1.30 nap while we go for a walk till 3 pm
3 pm E
4.30 pm nap till 5.30-6pm
6pm E
7pm bath
7.30-8 pm attempt for a nap but mostly crying for 30 min
8 pm E
8.30 straight to bed with crying again
11pm DF
Waking up every hour but falling back to sleep with a dummy and me patting her.
Then she'd wake some time around 3.30 am supposably hungry, because she refuses the dummy and eats for 10 sometimes 15 min.
And here comes the second issue.
She'd fall asleep and wake sometimes at 6 but sometimes at 7-7.30.
I had a couple of nights where she'd wake up at 4 am and it's a crib party till 6am, bubbling and talking, singing, no fuss just awake.And that threw off my entire schedule for the next few days.

Should I start the 3h routine for the time she wakes?

Please give me an example schedule I can keep and tell me how to deal with the mornings because I'm going nuts.
Do you recon she is ready to move to a 4h schedule.
She was so good for 3 months with only one night feed.

Thanks,
Kat
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 19:54:34 pm by Katrix »

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 15 weeks old NW and crying before getting to sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:52 am »
Do you want to start your day around 6/6:30 or do you like a later start? Once you know what you want, we can create a routine.

I wouldn't try for a fourth nap. I would just aim to have her asleep around 2h after the third nap ends.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Katrix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 10:24:57 am »
Hi Lily,
Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I would like to start around 7-7.30 if that sounds reasonable.
Also I would love to stay out with her as much as possible, we usually go out twice a day but as she easily falls asleep And I don't want to overdo it. I also try to feed her outside as well but she hardly stays awake after I get her back in the pram.
And again-do you think I shouLd start the transition to 4h schedule?

Cheers,
Kat
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:28:21 am by Katrix »

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:16:25 am »
It doesn't sound like she's quite ready to move to a 4hr routine yet. Breastfed babies often take a bit longer until they're ready to move to a 4hr feeding routine.

If you like the later start, I would continue feed her and put her back down when she wakes at 6/630 and then start her day when she wakes next. I would continue doing the first nap about 1h45/2h after she wakes and if you like the next nap to be early in the afternoon, I would wake her at 11. I did something similar with DS - I let him sleep in as long as he wanted but always made sure that first nap ended at 11. Next nap would be at 1 with a CN about 1h30/1h45 after the second nap ends. I would try to keep that nap to 45 minutes and do BT 1h30/2h after it ends (it can take a bit of tweaking to get BT right).

Ex:
WU: 7:30
S: 9:30-11
S: 1-3
S: 4:30-5:15
BT: 7/7:15

I would continue to feed at night if you think she needs it.

What do you think?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Katrix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 06:19:12 am »
It looks reasonable but I probably don't get it. If she eats at 7.30, 11 and 3pm wouldn't this make it a 4h routine?
And also what do I do when she wakes earlier in the morning or from her nap. Like today she was wide awake at 6 am and singing in bed :)
Should I put her down about 2 h after she woke up and follow a different timeline every day or should I try to stick to the times we've decided and expect her to get used to it.
And one last thing-where do I fit her last meal around the BT?
Thanks for your patience with me.
Kat
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:43:20 am by Katrix »

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:39:01 am »
Sorry - I didn't explain that well at all with regards to eating. I would just fit her feeds in whenever she needs them. DS often ended up needed to eat before a nap and it didn't become a problem as he wasn't usually nursing to sleep. As they slowly make that transition onto a 4h EASY, it won't always work for them to feed right when they wake up.

If she wakes earlier, I would put her down 2h after she wakes otherwise she'll be OT. She's too tiny to have to wait for a set nap time each morning. It will likely shift your whole day (including BT earlier). It's pretty normal for things to be different from day to day.

I always did the last BT meal after bath and right before bed. I dim the lights (or do it in the dark) have a cuddle and song and pop LO in bed.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Katrix

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:47 am »
Lily, you're a star. That makes me feel so relaxed. I guess I am a control freak and I was trying to feed her after she'd been sleeping and that was driving me crazy. And trying to have a semi-fixed schedule every day as well. From what I see I just need to make sure she has some A time after she ate.
Thank you so much once again.
Kat

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:33:52 am »
I'm glad to have helped! I also got very uptight and control-freaky with DD. It was so much easier with DS when I approached things with a more relaxed mindset. I so badly wanted things to happen at the same time every day with DD and I see know that she just wasn't ready for that kind of predictability and I just made it harder on both of us trying to force it.

If you do end up needing to feed before a nap there may be times when she does fall asleep while feeding. I wouldn't stress about it - the odd time here and there won't become a habit. I wouldn't wake her - just put her down sleeping.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014