Author Topic: Help with 19 week old  (Read 672 times)

Offline Jlbst171

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2016, 17:22:52 pm »
Hello was looking for some help and guidance with my sons routine

I am trying to follow a 3 hour easy routine starting with the first feed at 7 am. I exclusively pump breastmilk and feed this during the day and give formula for last bottle of day and any middle of the night wakings.

He will sleep pretty consistently for the 1st nap of the day - however he usually wakes up eArlier than 7 am and I try my best to get him to wait until as close to 7 as possible to eat. I just started offering 5 ounces in his bottle - not sure if this sounds like enough (he is 14 pounds).

Here is our schedule
Wakes anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30
Eat bottle pumped milk around 7 (5 ounces)
2 hour awake time
Nap around 8:30/9 depends on wake up
Sleeps for 2-3 hours! -- should I wake him?

From this point on I usually feed him about every 3 hours - the rest of his naps are short (30-45 min).
I have introduced solids 1x day and he loves them

How much should I be aiming for in each bottle?

He still wakes 1-2x a night but it is very inconsistent- it was just 1x somewhere between 3-4am and would eat and go back to sleep but now it's about every 3.5 to 4.5 hours throughout the night - sometimes he will drink. 4.5 ounce bottle at both wakings and sometimes he won't drink all

Should he still be waking so much? He has done 3 nights in row of sleeping all night 8-7:45am but hasn't in about 2 weeks!

Help!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Help with 19 week old
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 21:33:36 pm »
Hi there and welcome!
Just a quick question to start.  Is there a specific reason you've started solids so early?  Was it doctor advised?  The general rule is to hold off on solids until at least 6 months as their digestive systems are not usually ready to handle solids yet.  This could be contributing to the NW's.
With regards to the bottle amounts.  If he's leaving about 1oz in each bottle, you've got the right amount.  If he's draining each bottle, he needs more milk.
The inconsistent NW's are actually a good sign.  It means he's likely waking from hunger or discomfort but not from habit.  Regarding the naps, most babies his age are awake for 2-2.5 hrs. If you're consistently getting short naps, I would suggest you gently try and push the A time out to 2.25hrs and hold it there for a few days to see if that helps at all. 
HTH!