Author Topic: Help starting EASY with 3 week old  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Nlincoln123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2016, 19:37:21 pm »
Hi! I have been trying to start since day 1 and am having a hard time :( some days we fall into a 2.5 or 3 hour pattern (eat, diaper change, sleep) but other days baby wants to eat every hour almost. Some nights we get a 3.5 hour stretch of sleep, others we are up every hour or two. What am I doing wrong? Baby gained a pound in a week so I feel like my milk supply is okay?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 19:41:33 pm by Nlincoln123 »

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Help starting EASY with 3 week old
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 22:43:29 pm »
Welcome hun and congrats on your arrival!

I unfortunately don't have much experience with BFing but I think what's happening is completely normal and your LO is just trying to establish your supply.  It is still very early and a predicable routine might start to become established until 8-12 weeks.  At this point I would just try to get a rough EAS pattern during the day, but don't stress if LO needs to eat sooner or doesn't take a long nap.

Overnight my DD woke to eat every 3 hours for the first few weeks, sometimes every 2hrs, so those NFs are completely normal as well.  Does your LO take a full feed each time baby wakes at night or you you think there is some comfort sucking happening?

Offline Nlincoln123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 17:53:12 pm »
Thanks for the response :) yes I think i need to calm down a bit and realize it's likely going to take a few more weeks before things start to settle down a bit haha. I have a 20 month old as well so am anxious to find our new normal if that makes sense. The night wakings are totally confusing me because it seems like he is getting full feedings (like gulping!) But other times he seems sleepy and maybe just wants a cuddle? He is also a very noisy sleeper and I find myself jumping up to feed him, when he might just need help re-settling. I hate to say it but I don't like breastfeeding, except for the health benefits. My toddler was combo fed and the bottles helped me because I could sayer what he was getting...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 19:41:24 pm »
I was doing the exact same thing and getting my DD up to eat when she was thrashing around, when the reality was she was just self settling.  Now I wait until she actually cries and then feed her because often she will toss and turn for a good while, seeming like she is going to wake, but then drift back off.

Completely understandable to want to get into a new routine, we are trying to get there as well and I often have to remind myself that they are still so little and sometimes just need some cuddles and help to sleep.

I would try to follow EAS as much as possible during the day, but there will likely be times when you get an EASAES pattern which is normal and ok too until those A times and naps lengthen.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 19:43:36 pm »
it seems like he is getting full feedings (like gulping!)
Sounds like he might be getting a bit of air with the milk - that could be causing some gas discomfort and that's often a cause for rooting around an hour after a feed, looking for more milk to move the gut along and help get the air out, just perpetuates the cycle though, as he takes in more air.

Have a little read of this: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Hugs xx these first few weeks are hard!

Offline Nlincoln123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 19:24:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies :)  The doctor said I could try gas drops after feedings too if I feel like it is gassiness that is contributing to night wakings.  Baby also has been having nights where he is wide awake for 3 hours and I have trouble settling him back to sleep.  I think I need to let go a bit and just do whatever it takes to help him sleep at night...my first son was a baby that was all business at night and would eat, burp, get a new diaper, and then I would put him down and he'd drift back to sleep on his own.  So I guess I felt like that was how it needed to be with this one, but he is a very different baby and I think he needs to either be rocked to sleep or fall asleep next to me.  So you think it is okay if I just do whatever in the night, I won't start bad habits?  We have been having much success with EASY during the day, so that is good!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 20:23:41 pm »
Do you mind posting your EASY so I can take a look?  The long NW could definitely be gas or could be routine related.  Absolutely do what you need to in order to get some sleep and survive, we all know how hard those early days are, just try not to rely on props too much as you don't want to set the tone that this is the norm, yk?  Again though, do what you need to in the early days to get some sleep, a rested mama is a happy mama!