Author Topic: 19 week old  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Jlbst171

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2016, 17:27:20 pm »

Hello was looking for some help and guidance with my sons routine

I am trying to follow a 3 hour easy routine starting with the first feed at 7 am. I exclusively pump breastmilk and feed this during the day and give formula for last bottle of day and any middle of the night wakings.

He will sleep pretty consistently for the 1st nap of the day - however he usually wakes up eArlier than 7 am and I try my best to get him to wait until as close to 7 as possible to eat. I just started offering 5 ounces in his bottle - not sure if this sounds like enough (he is 14 pounds).

Here is our schedule
Wakes anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30
Eat bottle pumped milk around 7 (5 ounces)
2 hour awake time
Nap around 8:30/9 depends on wake up
Sleeps for 2-3 hours! -- should I wake him?

From this point on I usually feed him about every 3 hours - the rest of his naps are short (30-45 min).
I have introduced solids 1x day and he loves them

How much should I be aiming for in each bottle?

He still wakes 1-2x a night but it is very inconsistent- it was just 1x somewhere between 3-4am and would eat and go back to sleep but now it's about every 3.5 to 4.5 hours throughout the night - sometimes he will drink. 4.5 ounce bottle at both wakings and sometimes he won't drink all

Should he still be waking so much? He has done 3 nights in row of sleeping all night 8-7:45am but hasn't in about 2 weeks!

Help!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 19 week old
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:53 pm »
Hi, sorry your posts has been missed, I shall bump this for you now xx

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 19 week old
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 20:04:17 pm »
Hi :)

Sorry your post was missed. At 4 months, LOs typically are awake for 2hr and by 19 weeks, that's increased again to 2:15 or so. That's probably the reason for the short naps - undertired initially, then overtired from short naps. Its quite reasonable for a baby of this age to still be having 2 night feeds, so I wouldn't worry on that front, though you may find he sleeps better at night once your daytime routine is a little more appropriate for him.

I'd hazard a guess that he sleeps longer in that first nap when he's been up earlier in the morning? I think he's extending his night sleep there. That's why increasing that first A time is crucial. You could also consider waking him at the 2hr mark. Increase the first A time from where it is now, to encourage him to sleep later in the morning so you've not got a short night with the early waking.

Here is some info and a calculator to get an idea of how much milk there should be in a bottle of EBM: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

I'd imagine his routine would look a little like this:
6:30 - wake, eat
8:45 - nap
10:45 - wake, eat
1 - nap
2:30 - wake, eat
4:45 - nap
5:30 - wake from catnap, eat
BT feed
7/7:30 - asleep in bed