Author Topic: 2-1 transition for 8.5 mo old?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
2-1 transition for 8.5 mo old?
« on: February 25, 2016, 21:38:50 pm »
Hello!

I have been getting funny naps in the last few days that seem to point to an increased A. However, I'm not sure how to tweak his routine since his nap lengths are messing with feeding schedule. I had a thread on naps that helped me get rid of long EMW with longer A times which is how I know he's going through the 2-1. My question is should I aim for a shorter nap now that both naps are an hour or just extend A time and hope for lengthened naps? Here's our EASY:

WU/BF 7 am
A
E 8-8:30 (solids$
A
S 10:30-11:30/ 11:45 am (A 3.5; naps don't go longer than 1:15; and I usually resettle at the 34-35 mark)
E upon wake up
A
E 1-1.5 afterwards (solids)
A
S 3/3:15-4/4:15pm (A 3.5; naps are at most 45-1hr)

E Feeding a get funny after this and it's hard to fit in dinner since I have to wait a little for the milk feed. So usually I do a top up milk feed before bed.

BT 7-7:15 pm (3hr A)

Thank you!
Jennifer xx

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 2-1 transition for 8.5 mo old?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:21 am »
If what you've got going is working, stick with it - I had 2 x 1hr naps for a while. This 2-1 transition takes a LONG time, you most likely won't be on one nap every day consistently for 6-8 months yet at least.

If you want one longer nap, you can extend the A time a bit and see if that nap lengthens back out again.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:17:26 am »
Hi again!!

I guess my concern is whether OT is creeping in and if that's a result of funny nap lengths. It's hard to tell bc DS is such a happy baby. Rarely does he cry from OT unless he's really OT. Today after is pm nap he was agitated and tried putting himself back to sleep but after nearly 50 minutes I guess wasn't tired enough. Of course after I fed him he was all smiles lol so maybe it was hunger that had him edgy.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 18:09:07 pm »
So today his am nap was an hour on the dot. Over the last few days it has gotten progressively shorter. Is this a sign that he wants a shorter am nap and longer pm nap or is it just a sign that he needs an A time increase. He's been at 3.5 for about two weeks or so. I am planning a pm nap after 3:40 A since yesterday he gave me a UT nap after an 1:06 am nap and 3.5 A. He did have some NW that I believe is linked to the funky naps.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 21:33:58 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 20:07:20 pm »
Over the last few days it has gotten progressively shorter. Is this a sign that he wants a shorter am nap and longer pm nap or is it just a sign that he needs an A time increase
Either/or - this is where you're making the decision. You can have a play and see what works for him. Personally at this age, I'd be increasing the A time, especially if you've been getting wakings in the early hours of the morning for anything other than a quick feed a reasonable time since the last feed.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 20:19:30 pm »
Hmmmmm yea I have been thinking the same thing in terms of increasing the first and possibly the second A. I also thought about shortening the am nap but wondered bc of his age that maybe an increase would be better. So he has been waking in the early am 2.5 hours after a last feed for another feed. Then only sleeps another hour to his wake up time at 7:30. It's usually a quick feed them he's back asleep but it seems strange that he just picked up a third feed so close to the last one.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 17:50:42 pm »
Hi!

I have a question. I know when babies wake up constantly in the earlier part of night after bedtime it indicates OT. However, can UT also be a culprit? I have been doing 3:40 A times and have been getting the following (this is today's example):

WU 7 am
S 10:40-11:40 (woke up on his own)
S 3:00-4:06 (woke up on his own again)
BT 7:07 pm

I'm confused. He is teething which I know bothers him but we have been giving him Tylenol. He still restless for the first couple of hours after BT waking up a lot. Do I need to keep pushing A times?
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 21:31:11 pm »
Given the first nap is an hour, then yes I would maybe increase A times.  The wakings in the earlier part of the night may very well be OT since the first nap is an hour it may not be that restorative yk? 

The other thing you can do is try for a short am/long pm nap.  So scale the first A time back a bit, enough so that he falls asleep but then cap it at 45mins.  Then you have a slightly shorter second A time so to not cause OT, but then aim for a long pm nap.  The benefit of doing this is that eventually when you do go down to 1 nap that short am gets shorter and shorter until it phases out and the pm nap remains the same.

So something like...

WU 7am
Nap 10-10:45
Nap 1:30-3:30
BT 7pm

Just an option :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 22:39:24 pm »
I'm thinking I do need shorter am/ longer pm. Another mod and I have been discussing going that route before so I think now it's definitely apparent that it needs to happen. Today he wouldn't nap for both naps until almost 4 hours A! I feel aiming for two long naps would make the day too long with such long A times. The other thing I noticed is he has been wanting a shorter A to bed. Could be because of the long A times and shorter naps as you said.

Would pulling back to 3 hours be a lot considering he was comfortably doing 3.5 A times? I could try 3 hrs A to see if it works. If he's not tired he plays around until he gets OT. I also had issues with EMW for weeks which seems to be ok now. Now I'm getting OT wakings  ::) I just need to strike the perfect balance lol

I was thinking:

WU 7 am
S 10:30-11:15 am
S 2:30-4:30 (hopefully; it's rare he ever does two hours)

Is that too much A?
BT 7:30 pm
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 22:53:18 pm »
The key is to have him slightly UT for that first nap so he doesn't end up OT overall if that makes sense?  So pull the first A time back enough so you think he'll go to sleep but not so much that the short nap causes him to be OT.  I know it's a odd concept lol.  You also want to make sure your second A isn't too long so he isn't OT.

I mean, all you can do is start somewhere and see how it plays out and then adjust.  So if you want to do the first nap at 10:30 go for it and we'll see what happens.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 23:32:28 pm »
I completely agree  :)

The only thing I know is that DS likes a shorter A to bed; other than that its all trial and error for him!

Question: even if the A is right before bed is it possible for DS to be overtired from too much A during the day? He usually goes down between 2:45-3hr A and will still get wakings early in the evening.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:56:21 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »
Hi!

I have a question: how can I differentiate between a UT early morning waking from an OT one? Whether they resettle? Mood?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 17:02:43 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 18:03:41 pm »
It can be hard to tell for sure, mood probably has a lot to do with it.  My DS never resettled after an EW, I kind of judged it by the previous day and what the night was like.  If the night was bad or the naps were short I would usually assume it was OT.  In the flip side if naps were really long then it might be UT.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 19:36:15 pm »
Ok that makes sense!

I tried a 3.25 A and he slept for about an 1:05. Should I try 3 hours tomorrow or stick with 3.25 for a UT nap of 45 minutes? I'm attempting the short am/long pm nap.  :)
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 21:47:35 pm »
How did the PM nap go? And BT?  That might determine whether you need to scale that first A back to get a shorter 45min UT nap, but I am suspecting that you may need to do 3hrs or 3.15 to get more of a CN for the AM so as not to keep your day too long.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 01:45:04 am »
The pm nap was with an A of 3.5ish and he woke up at 27 and I resettled but only slept until 1:10  ???

Bedtime was another mess as he was acting very cranky and tired at 2.5-2.75 but when I tried to put him down before 3 hours, he was resisting and morning all around and playfully gabbing away. He finally went to sleep at 3:22 A. Not sure how the night will look but basically this is what we did today:

WU 8:10 am
S 11:19:- 12:23 pm (A 3:09; self settle)
S 4:02-5:16 pm (A 3:39; SS; woke up at 27 minutes <could be OS since we just had gotten back home from music class and running errands)
BT 8:38 pm (A 3:22; walked around in my arms)

Hopefully we don't get any OT wakings.
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 01:57:53 am »
So I think the morning CN needs to be earlier in the day and probably less A time.

If WU was 8am then something like:

WU 8
Nap 10:30-11am
Nap 2-4pm
BT 7:30pm

The first A is short so that the nap is short/UT  and the second A is also reduced because the morning nap was only 30mins so you want to avoid OT.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:20 am »
Hi!

Thanks for replying so quickly! My concern is that DS has never done more than a 12 hour night so if I aim for a 12.5 hour night he will just get up earlier and earlier.

Could I maybe try a 2.75 A in the am then a 3 hour A before the pm nap. He's never done a 2 hour nap so if he does a 1.5 nap he won't make it to a 7:30 BT.

Would this be too much:

WU 8 (usually 7 but teething has him sleeping later)
A 2.75 hrs
S 10:45-11:30 am
A 3 hrs
S 2:30-4:30 (hopefully)
BT 8 pm

Or

WU 8
S 10:45-11:15
S 2:30-4:30
BT 8 pm

I don't know I'm trying to rack my brain on making sure his day is at least 12 hours long without being OT or UT. I should mention he struggled for a couple of weeks with long playful EMW which is what led to longer first A times.

Last night he was up every 2-3 hours Wide awake babbling. In the earlier waking (1 am-only an hour and a half after his last waking) he was tossing and turning wide awake  then cried when I tried to resettle. I had to nurse bc he was hysterical. He hasn't woken like this in a couple of weeks. Perhaps not getting enough A?

I know I wrote a lot but I do appreciate another pair of eyes on this, thank you!  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:19:27 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 19:48:58 pm »
I think what you suggested looks good!  Let me know how today went!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 19:56:42 pm »
Well he acted as though he was tired at around 2.75 but when I put him down he just played and played. He finally napped at 3.75 A time and napped for 1.5 hours.

I also posted on the Naps board since in the last couple of days naps have gone haywire after weeks of having a decent nap routine and night.

Not sure what to do.
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 01:51:24 am »
How are you doing hun?  Was reading the nap post and I also agree and am thinking and earlier start to the day might be helpful, that was you have consistency and can get the naps at generally the same times.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 02:01:06 am »
Hi!

Thanks for checking in! Well today was not too bad so far. He took two naps around an hour each. First A was 3:20ish and he woke up at 33 minutes but resettled quickly (so OT or teeth? Not sure), then did a second A for about the same time and slept for about an hour in my DH arms. I was out while DH watched him. Bedtime he hasn't been tired at the usual A tim but I'm thinking it's because I have shortened his A times a bit in the day. He just went to sleep after a 3:10 A time. We will see what happens tonight. We been getting OT wakings early in the night. It may be teeth despite giving him Motrin.

I keep getting strange NW where he feeds then stays awake just laying their quietly or sometimes sitting up. He mastered sitting up weeks ago so I doubt it's that so that leaves teething and/or routine related.

So all in all a working progress lol I do agree I think I need to move his routine back to around 7. We have been at these later times for a week or so and he definitely does way better with an earlier one.
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 00:31:41 am »
30 min naps are typically OT, but once teeth get thrown in the mix it's hard to tell for sure.  Some of he early wakings could be OT for sure as his naps are slightly in the short side.  I do wonder though if you kept that AM nap at 30 mins (or 45) if he take a longer PM nap for you.  And if you are open to getting an early start to the day it could be something like

WU 7
Nap 10-10:30
Nap 1-3 (this A time is shortened since the AM nap is only 30mins)
BT 6:30

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 02:36:36 am »
Yea I definitely agree that teething muddles everything up big time which is why it's hard to tell where my A times should be yk?

I also think the wakings are OT bc of nap lengths. I can definitely the suggested routine and tweak it. DS has never done a 12.5 hour night so I wonder how I can tweak it to a 11.5-12 hour day. He seems a bit lower in the sleep needs department as well.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:59:47 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 12:48:42 pm »
Yes my DS never did more than 11-11.5hr nights either, so EBTs never worked for us.  What I did was just set BT at 7pm no matter what, so even if it was a long A until bed he could generally handle it.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 13:28:07 pm »
For us either...either he ends up with loong wakings due to OT or UT. Last night we definitely had an OT baby on our hands since we had a busy day with extended family. We had 3 long NW  :( complete with crying and resisting sleep.

Also daylight savings time pushed everything forward so now he woke up at 9!! My goal is to get him back to 7:30.
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 14:10:01 pm »
Yes we had a late WU this morning too.  I think that if you get an earlier start to the day you should be able to get a short nap and a long nap in and still have an evening for yourself :).

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 15:07:46 pm »
That would be sooooo nice but today it will be a 9 p.m. bedtime since I have to make sure he gets enough A or he ends up with long playful NW  ::)

My plan is to wake him up at 8 tomorrow then 7:30 the next day to get back on track.
Jennifer xx

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 00:20:48 am »
Sounds good!