Author Topic: Why is DD taking just 1-hour long naps? Is it enough?  (Read 808 times)

Offline cookiemonster527

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Why is DD taking just 1-hour long naps? Is it enough?
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:07:03 am »
DD is 5.5 months and has recently been taking only 1 hour long naps, never more than 1 hour and 20 min. She used to have distinct "good" naps (over 1.5 hours, sometimes 2+ hours) and "short" naps (45 min or less when OT). Her typical EAS day is:

7AM Wake
E 7:30 BF
A
E 8:15 1oz solids
A
S 10-11
E 11:15
A
S 2-3
E 3:15
A
S 4:45-5:00 (maybe 5:15) This CN doesn't always happen. Sometimes I put her in the crib and she stays awake (complains a little) for about 30 min before I take her out. Other times she may fall asleep nursing during the next E
E 5:30
A Bedtime ritual including bath and story
E 7:00 top up (if she skips the CN altogether, then she usually falls asleep nursing here)
S 7:15
Wakes usually once at night for a feed. Random times, sometimes at 10, 11, 2, or 4

I'm a little lost in a couple areas:
- How can I extend her hour long naps? Or is an hour long enough? She is content throughout the day so it leads me to believe she might have enough sleep. When she was younger, I would know when she was tired because she was distinctly cranky
- She is having 3 hour A times. Could she be OT, hence the hour long naps? She used to wake at 45 min exactly when OT, so I'm confused what the hour long nap means (OT or UT). We went from 2.5h A times to 3h over 2 weeks when I started to notice that the naps were less than 1.5h. Extending A times haven't changed the length of the nap. Again, she is content during the 3 hour A time so I didn't think she was OT.
- I'm hoping she can extend her naps longer so we can stop the CN. I feel she is ready to drop CN if her naps were longer. Perhaps I should deal with the short nap issue first before dropping the CN?

Would appreciate any advice in troubleshooting =) thanks!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Why is DD taking just 1-hour long naps? Is it enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 22:20:23 pm »
Hmmm, it really depends.  Some babies are simply low sleep needs and happily exist on less sleep. 3hrs of A time does seem a little high for me at 5.5 months but both my boys needed a lot of sleep.  I'm inclined to caution you not to drop the CN just yet.  Have you tried using PU/PD to extend the naps?

Offline cookiemonster527

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 18:14:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply. You're right, I think I will keep the CN for now until she can nap longer. Can't get her through to the end of the day without the CN generally

I haven't tried PU/PD, but I'm not sure it will work with DD. I leave DD in the crib for 15-20 minutes after she wakes. She generally plays with her lovey or the sides of the crib during this time. She is very content and doesn't complain when she wakes. I have to keep the video of the baby monitor set to 'always on' to see when she wakes because she doesn't make a peep. As soon as I go into her room, she's full of smiles and giggles. Is PU/PD only for when she is crying? Or can I try even when she's all smiley and happy? She wakes after exactly 1hr and 5 min these past couple days, almost to the minute =)

I tried W2S previously for night sleep. Just opening her door a crack. She would move around a bit and 5 min later be totally awake. So I stopped W2S for night sleep because I felt like I was waking her up completely and reinforcing wakings. Would W2S work for naps? How soon before her usual wake time should I be trying? Thanks!

Offline lauradj

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 21:24:24 pm »
With W2S you want to go in around the 30 minute mark because the length of a sleep cycle at this age is about 40 mins.  You're aiming to interrupt the sleep cycle and restart it without actually waking your babe up.  A gentle cheek stroke is likely enough, though if she's a heavy sleeper you may need to move her arm.  Basically, as soon as she stirs, even the smallest amount, stop and leave.  That is enough of a response.  You may have to experiment with the timing of it.  If she wakes all the way up at the 30 minute mark, go in at the 25 next time. 
I would also suggest you just turn the video monitor off, even just for a while.  She may fall back asleep if you leave her until she makes enough noise to get your attention.  Very rarely my LO will wake early and unless he starts to get upset  I'll just leave him until he hits the 2hr mark. He once chatted away for 30 minutes and then passed out for another hour, so that's something to consider.

Offline cookiemonster527

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 00:38:34 am »
Thanks for the information!

I kept DD in the crib for the full 2 hours for both naps today. She slept for 1.5 hours each, an improvement from the last couple days  :) I'll try W2S if keeping her in the crib longer doesn't work out. Thanks!!

Offline lauradj

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 03:08:26 am »
You are welcome!!