Author Topic: 4 months Starting PUPD but doesn't seems to work!  (Read 914 times)

Offline peca0527

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 months Starting PUPD but doesn't seems to work!
« on: March 01, 2016, 17:34:26 pm »
Hi !

I desperately need advise on napping... We are in transition from a 3 to 4 hours routine and I don't know where to start...

We usually naps 45min, then sometimes falls back asleep on his own, but most of the time he doesn't. He cries a little bit then either falls back asleep (if I don't go in the nursery...) or start to really cry. So I wonder each time: go in or wait that he really cries... And then, if he is crying, it's impossible to but him back to sleep. I have tried the Shh Pat since he's 2 months, but it doesn't seem to work anymore... and I never had long naps, always 30, 45 minutes then if i'm lucky 1 hour in the second stretch... He calms down with a pacifier, that now falls out before he's asleep.. So I tried the PUPD, but I feel it's waking him more then anything else as he looks at me with his eyes wide open and wants to play...  even though I've been doing the PUPD for an hour long...

His 3 hours routine was

7h30 Feed
8h30 Nap
10h00 Feed
12h30 Nap
14h00 Feed
15h30 Nap (the hardest to get him to sleep)
17h00 Feed
18h00 Catnap
19h Feed
20h Sleep
22h30 Dream Feed
 Night waking : 2,3 times a night...

Now, the morning are almost on a 4 hours routine, it's the evening i'm wondering what to do...

7h Feed
9h Nap
10h30, 45 Feed ( one hour long of PUPD is all I can take before crying myself...)

Now i'm trying this in the evening
last nap 5hpm to ... 5h45
6hpm Feed
7hpm Sleep
8hpm  dream feed (not sure he really needs it but i'm so scared he will wake...)
11hpm dream Feed

The last couples of catnap he took around 6hpm to 7hpm, he didn't wake up, so that make me change his routine, I figured he needed to get to sleep earlier than 8hpm. But I feed around 8hpm and wonder if it's necessary... I'm so scared he will wake before the 11hpm dream feed...

Any advise on how to adjust to a 4 hours while helping him sleep longer during nap time ... would be appreciated!!  I love the Baby Whisperer book, but i feel lost in all the advise....

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 months Starting PUPD but doesn't seems to work!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:13:35 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Sorry you didn't get a reply yet, we try to ensure all posts are responded to.

Would you mind posting your EAS times again please, perhaps for yesterday or today so I can see exactly when he wakes and falls to sleep and when you are helping him.  If you don't have these times take a day or two to record them and then post, we'll still be here.
When you post could you put in a format like this which we find helpful (I'm just going to make u example times here, please put the actual time it happened):
WU (meaning morning wake up time) 7.00
E 7.00
A 7-9 2hr
S 9.00 - 9.30 tried to resettle with shush/pat
S 9.45 - 10.15 tried to resettle with shush/pat but LO wouldn't sleep
E 10.45
A 10.15 - 12.15 2hr
S 12.15 - 1.00 tried to resettle but LO was playing
...and so on throughout the day. The little notes by the side help us to know what you did, if it worked and what mood LO was in.
You can continue right up to BT (bed time) and show any DF (dream feed) or NW (night waking - if nights are bad please also show how long the NW lasted).

In the mean time here are a couple of links you might find useful if you have not already seen them:
Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
and this one can be very useful in your situation, to catch LO before he wakes and help sooth him into the next sleep cycle whilst he is still drowsy:
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

I know it can be overwhelming when there is so much to take in and you are already feeling exhausted from caring for LO.  You don't have to rush to read all the FAQs they are just there if you are able and want to read up a bit. We'll be here to answer your questions and support you through this tricky time.