Author Topic: 1 year old gets fussy when we go in the kitchen  (Read 1992 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old gets fussy when we go in the kitchen
« on: March 01, 2016, 21:59:55 pm »
Hi everyone! Anyone else LO gets super fussy when you TRY to cook something??? As soon as I enter the kitchen my 13 months old starts whining even if he's still playing happily in the living room, and even if I keep him entertained in the kitchen (toys, pots and pans, Tupperware bowls, etc)

It drives me crazy to hear that at least 3 times a day!!! Do you have any tips before I turn insane? Loll

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 1 year old gets fussy when we go in the kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 22:09:15 pm »
I used to try to get one meal cooked or prepared during nap time when I had some peace.
My kitchen is big enough for a high chair so he could sit in there and I'd chit chat about what I was doing, how to prepare veggies or show him the different (safe) foods, tell him info about them and such. He liked information.  He also liked eating so I might prep during snack time so he could sit in his high chair feeding himself whilst I cooked.
Sometimes he'd be happy with a new kitchen item to explore so rather than toys or plastic tubs he'd seen before I'd give him the balloon whisk or a set of measuring spoons or a wooden juicer, a sieve or colander (great for putting on heads!).
You probably can't stop all the whining though, they do have a tendency to moan, I tried to just keep talking so even if he was moaning he knew I was paying some attention to him.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 00:16:59 am »
 Can you time meal prep with snack time?

I used to give my dd little nuggets of fruit in 2 or 3 little paper cups.....good grief the fun! 

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:21:31 am »
I also cooked during nap time.
Whisk and a plastic bowl was big hit for dd. Now at two, she "makes" eggs, crack them, whisk them, adds seasoning and pours them in the pan.
I`d let her "help", she "pressed" the button of the blender, inspected things, mix things...

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:35:10 am »
Yes! My kids have been the same. Dd still does it now & she's almost 3! I can now set her at the table with some pencils & paper & she will happily do that whilst i cook.

At 13 months though its not so easy! Could you strap her in the chair & get an activity going whilst you cook?

Agree with pp prep earlier in the day is a good idea.x
Jody
 xx

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:26:34 am »
Prep when they're asleep definitely. Allowing 'help' is great too, and gets more productive as they get older.  My 3 yo likes to peel veg for example.  Giving a snack is a good idea, maybe he associates the kitchen with eating and would like something. 

I found I had times when LO had to be in the carrier/sling while I got on with the cooking, that was fine too.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 18:17:46 pm »
Thank you everyone for your tips  ;D
Definitely I try to make as much as I can for the dinner during nap time. But since baby #2 arrived (she's 3 weeks old!!) and is not on a really predictable schedule it's hard to have her to sleep at the same time of her brother lol

I'll try to do it at snack time when I can't do it at nap time. I'll also try to make him participate more it should help! And yup, he associates kitchen and food that's for sure  ;)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 18:39:25 pm »
 Awww.....so cute!   Yeah I'd put him in his high chair and give him a really engaging snack....a hunk of bagel or something that takes time.   ;)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 00:43:52 am »
Ahah yeah it's kinda cute after all  :)
He does the same at daycare lol he knows food is coming ;D

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »
Just wondering - if he's getting worked up, do you think maybe he could do with eating earlier? Or having a substantial snack earlier? I know things go all sorts of pear-shaped with a new baby in the mix, keeping to meal and snack times kept me some sort of sane during that time. I know there would've been difficulties if we hadn't!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 14:06:47 pm »
it's already earlier than it should! Most of the time we are having dinner a 4:40 instead of 5 ;) and he have a real big snack at 2:30-3:00
And he whines even if he's not hungry LOL sometimes I don't understand these kids  ;)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 15:16:37 pm »
Slow cooker/pressure cooker. Throw everything in early on and let the food cook itself. :) That thing saved my life on many occasions, and still does!

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 19:23:53 pm »
 ;D Love it