Author Topic: Night wakings and feeds in a 9 month old....am I doing this right?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
I have had amazing help with my little guy and as a result I feel like we are in a pretty good routine....but we are still having a lot of NW. I am working on a few things but want to make sure I'm doing ok.....

Firstly sleep training - we have just moved him to his own room and although he was self settling before he has now stopped  :'(. He's getting pretty upset when I put him down and isn't being soothed by shhh pat. Yesterday in the end I picked him up and then put him down when he had calmed down and carried on shh pat. It worked ( in the end) but he woke a lot in the night and was v hard to resettle. And it just took me 10 mins to settle for his nap and he woke up after half an hour distraught and I couldn't resettle him. I'm right there sleeping next to him so it's not a separation thing and he is still in his sleepyhead....where do I go from here? Do I just carry on shh pat? Do I do PUPD and if so, how? Aaarrrggghhh!

Secondly, he is having 2 NF (11 and 4) but last night missed the 11 one. Should I now just stop feeding before 3 or something? I would love just one NF!??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Night wakings and feeds in a 9 month old....am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:07 am »
We hit a bump in the road at 9 months and it turns out our BT just needed to be tweaked. Do you want to post your routine and I'll take a look for you?

When I wanted to stop feeding DD at night (around 8 months), I just patted and rubbed her back without picking her up. She screamed for most of the time but she knew I was there. After a 3-4 nights, she was waking less.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:39:03 am »
Thanks!

There's a bit of variability as we have to fit round twins stuff, but yesterday went like this:

WU 6:15
BF 6:30
Breakfast 7:30
Nap 10-10:45
BF 11
Lunch 12:30
BF 1:45 (his idea, didn't eat much breakfast or lunch so I went with it but usually this feed is after the nap)
Nap 2:10 - 3:30
Supper 5
BF 6 (while twins having milk) and 6:45
Bed 7

NW 9 (OT from not great naps I think) midnight (shhh pat), 2 (BF one side only), 4 (into my bed for cuddles), 5:30 (BF other side as v uncomfy).

The thing is I would quite like to keep one NF for a little bit longer....but only 1! And no other NW. What do you think? Is this a ST issue? He has a dummy but can replug and he isn't waking for the dummy as it is usually in his hand and he gets cross when I put it back!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 02:13:12 am »
My first guess would be OT if his days are usually something like that. I found with DS that a few days of an earlier BT often sorted things out. Any chance you could pop him into bed a bit sooner?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:19:56 am »
Would you mind having another little look? Things are MUCH better from a NW point of view but he is now waking early and not going back down. I stopped capping his naps to let him catch up the OT so instead we have had....

WU 5:30 (and won't go back to sleep, will have a token BF but obviously not really hungry)
Nap 9:30 - 10:45 (real struggle to get there, starts showing sleepy signs about 8!!)
Nap 2:30 - 4
BT 7:30

NW (last night) 2 (fed), 5:30 up for the day again.

So the night is MUCH better (thank you thank you thank you) but he is waking early and is really tired. If he was happy i would just go with it as the clocks change soon but he obviously does need more sleep. Earlier BT is really difficult because of fitting around the twins.....

Any thoughts?

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:54:58 am »
My DS did a stint of early wakings around that age too (also after his NWs got better). I just left him in bed as long as possible and I did put him down a bit earlier for his am nap (30-45 minutes). He usually napped longer meaning he woke at his usual time so that put us on track for the rest of the day. The EWs got better after a few weeks. I'm thinking that even if he does wake earlier from the morning nap, it lets you bring the pm nap forward a bit and gives him a bit more A time before bed which may help with the EW.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:33 am »
ok, he fell asleep in the car at 8:30 and I just couldn't bear to wake him - he was almost beside himself with tiredness all morning after being woken at 5:30 and it doesn't seem fair! We have a doctors appointment at 10 so he will have to get up then. If I need to I will add a CN to get us up to BT.

Yesterday he slept 9:30-10:30, 2:15-3:30 (couldn't resettle) then fell asleep in the sling at 4:30 so I let him sleep til 5. He then went to bed really easily at 7:30, woke at 00:30 and I shh patted, then didn't feed til 3. So should I try and not feed til 3 then as a beginning of night weaning? He had a really good feed then rather than messing around which was nice!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:03:43 am »
I think sh/pat for anything before 3 is a good idea. That's how I night weaned my DD.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:11:50 am »
Lily  :-* you are my hero!! He has slept til 5 for 2 nights now, which for him is
STTN because he is a rotten early bird. But I don't care, by 5 I'm fresh as a daisy and so is he!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:16 am »
I'm so glad it worked! I should've taken my own advice with DS. I still just default to nursing him when he does wake at night and at 15 months I think it will be a lot harder to break the habit.

DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014