Author Topic: Getting frazzled on day 8 of pu/pd!  (Read 905 times)

Offline Anna Karin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 03, 2016, 14:55:02 pm »
Hi lovely mamas,

I am on day 8 of implementing pu/pd and a more predictable schedule with my 9 mo old.  Other than a couple of planned naps in the ergo when I was out and about, I've been consistently doing pu/pd for 3 naps a day, bed time, and an average of 3 wake ups at night.  Last night, he woke up 5 times!!!  I'm starting to feel defeated.  I have definitely seen some great progress!  He can fall asleep on his own in his crib and sometimes it doesn't take him long at all.  I do nurse him before every sleep session, but make sure to put him down while he is drowsy but awake.  Naps have improved, though they do need to be longer so he can cut out the third nap.  Where I'm struggling the most right now is at night.  I used to bed share with him and even though he woke up frequently, it was really easy for us both to go back to sleep.  Now that I have to get up, nurse, and do pu/pd until he falls back asleep each waking is much more disruptive.  I would eventually like for him to sttn, but for now would be happy with him waking up just once or twice.  I tried to just plan on nursing him twice during the night at first, but the times that I didn't nurse before we did pu/pd were just miserable and lasted forever!  Only one of those times did he actually fall asleep. 

At this point, I don't have to pick him up very much.  I spend a lot of time next to the crib, with my hand on him, talking softly and singing.  I mostly only pick him up when he sits or stands up, then give him a hug and kiss and put him back down.  Any advice or support?  I'm feeling frazzled!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 15:20:46 pm »
Hi Honey,
Can you please show me what is your ideal routine and what do you do at pupd? At 9mo we usually don't pick up babies at all if I am correct. I cannot copy/paste but in Sleepin FAQ you can find a link how to do pupd with a 9mo+ babies!
~Marta

Offline Anna Karin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 15:33:08 pm »
Here's my ideal routine...

7:30 wake up and nurse
8:00 breakfast
9:30-11 morning nap
12:00 lunch
2-4 afternoon nap
5 dinner
7:30 bedtime

What is happening right now is that one of his naps is long enough, and the other is 30 min.  I sit by his crib and talk/sing to him in hopes he goes back to sleep, but he doesn't, till pretty close to the "official" end of nap.  Because one of these naps is short, he needs a 30 min 3rd nap around 4:30.  At night, he is waking around 12, and 4, or more.  It's not consistently the same time at night that he wakes up.

I just re-read the section for 9 mo olds.  I'm thinking he is going through the "regression" stage.  I probably need to pick him up less, and start moving away from him.  This is all fine during the day, but it's so much harder at night!

Should I be firm on how many night feedings he gets?  I tried to be at first, and he wasn't waking up as much, but it's gotten harder and I've started giving in and nursing him before I put him back in his crib.  How do I know when to nurse and when not to nurse?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 15:48:07 pm by Anna Karin »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:20:25 am »
The case is honey that it's quite normal that his naps are like that at 9mo. At this age having one long and one short nap is normal. And maybe this additional nap you are offering is not needed if you want to have a better night. Have you seen the average A times for a 9mo in the Sleep FAQ? At that age I would go for 2 routines:
1/ 7am wu
10-10:45 nap
14/14:30-15:30/16 nap
7pm bedtime

Or

2/ 7:00 am wu
11:00-12:30 nap
16:00-16:30 nap
7pm bedtime
~Marta

Offline Anna Karin