Author Topic: Only feeding from one side, supply seems to have dropped...  (Read 1995 times)

Offline tinydancer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Only feeding from one side, supply seems to have dropped...
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:39:10 am »
I have a 7mo (nearly 8mo) who over the last month favours the right breast. I try to get him to at least start on the left side, but he'll only take a few sucks and then try and climb over to the other one. I think it's because the letdown is too slow and/or the flow not fast enough for him.

I think the left side has a very low supply now. Could this be contributing to hunger (esp. over night)? Over the last week he's been taking most of his feed before sleep as this is when he is least distracted. After 7mo of doing EASY I'm feeling like this is a bit of a backwards step, but he is so hard to feed on wake up and he wriggles all over the place.

Would you recommend pumping to bring the supply up?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Only feeding from one side, supply seems to have dropped...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:39:27 am »
Have you tried feeding in a dark room on wake up (sort of more like a dreamfeed - I used to scoop them up at the tail end of the nap when they were still drowsy and pop them on for a feed). Sorry no btdt on pumping as I was never able to do it successfully!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 21:34:58 pm »
Or what about holding him in a different position simar to how he would be if he were feeding from the other breast? So if for example you normally use a cradle hold you could keep him lying on his preferred side and just move him across your body to the other breast so he is in a football hold and his body is under you arm if that makes sense. So you're kind of tricking him into thinking he is on the other breast.

Any chance he is experiencing discomfort from teething or an earache that makes it uncomfortable to be on that side?

Perhaps offer the left side first and then do breast compressions while he feeds on the second breast and then offer the left breast again whilst continuing the breast compressions.

You could definitely try pumping for extra stimulation but be aware that if you don't manage to pump much it is not an indication at all as to how much your baby could get from feeding directly.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:24:52 am »
Hi!

Hope u don't mind an extra opinion!

Have you considered pumping the left breast while he feeds on the right side, at the same time? If you feel it is a low milk supply issue, I find pumping is the most effective! Try pumping the left side for a few minutes after each feed (about 10 mins) or consider doing extra pump sessions.

As Ali said, breast compressions work well! It is best to rule out any possible discomfort, as Ali mentioned too!. If you don't feel that is the case, I highly suggest pumping! I feel it's the best but I know many woman don't like to do it ;) ...I know I don't!

Best of luck don't get discouraged! :)
Fabi

Offline tinydancer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:15 am »
Wow - thank you so much for all of your advice! It is so helpful, thank you.

I did wonder at the beginning if it was teething, but it seems to be going on for quite a while now (although the teeth keep coming). I can sometimes get him to feed from it, but other times he protests, arches his back and kicks up a fuss until he's on his favourite side. Are there any telltale signs to keep an eye out for?

As his teeth have come through, I'm getting damage on the right side and it can be excruciating.  :'(

He's still not keen on feeding when he wakes up particularly, I'll keep trying with that. It's actually almost like he's trying to drop a feed (although unfortunately not one of the night ones - ha!). Does this happen around this age?

He usually feeds;
7.00a - on wake up, never has very much and sometimes nothing at all if he had a NW at 5/6am
10.20a - right before his morning nap
3.30p - before arvo nap (if we're not at home and he's having catnaps in the car I can't get him to eat until we're home, so this sometimes gets pushed quite a bit later)
7.00p/8.00p - bedtime
*sometimes if he wakes OT here I will feed in case he didn't take enough at BT
10.00p-10.30p - NW
~1.00a
~4.00a

I think I will give pumping a go - and breast compressions too, they sound like they could work well. I like the idea of tricking him with the same position too. I have tried that once, but for some reason tried it in the most uncomfortable chair in the house. It was the closest I've gotten to doing yoga in weeks - ha!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »
I wouldn't drop a daytime feed any time soon. As you say, it's the night feeds you want to go first.

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:52:16 pm »
Hi, dd fed more on one side than the other. I did what FPT23 suggested and found out that the breast she didnt wanted did not had much milk, I`d get between 1-2 oz max while on the other I had to feed her twice :) Pumping the low supply one helped.
I agree with Ali about the dropping the night feed first.
HTH

Offline FPT23

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 16:05:04 pm »
Hi!

Well sometimes what you pump isn't an indicator of low milk supply! Keep that in mind :) but yes I find pumping is the best way if your consistent for a few days :)

Tinydancer, I guess sometimes crying at the breast or fidgeting but that can be for other signs too! So I guess go w/ your instinct on that one! As soon as baby wakes offer that breast first too. They are avid as soon as they wake usually. 

Good luck <3 !
Fabi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:59 am »
Yes, pumping only shows what your pump can get from the breast. It isn't indicative of what LO could get. Remember the breast is making milk all the time as LO feeds. It is not the case that there is a set amount in the breast that runs out. Maybe the less favoured breast has a slower let down.

Offline tinydancer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:10:58 am »
Yip, totally agree about the pump not being a good indicator of supply, it's good to have that reminder - thank you! I'm more looking at it as a tool to get the supply up a bit so it interests my LO more. He likes to CHUG and I think that it just isn't fast enough for him!

I've been having a bit of success with the same lying position, and will keep going with that and pumping when I can to boost supply.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and support x

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 21:14:08 pm »
Glad you are having some success :)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 23:27:14 pm »
Happy to hear! :D
Fabi