Author Topic: 10wk old self soothing?  (Read 759 times)

Offline Seachelle1512

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 06, 2016, 16:32:55 pm »
Sometimes when I'm trying to put LO down, I put her down just after she dozes off in my arms, she'll stir a bit then Shh/Pat will put her to sleep. Other times when I lay her in the crib, she'll stir and start squirming, kicking, sucking on her hand, all with her eyes shut. After about 15min she'll be asleep most times. Sometimes not. Is this her self-soothing? Is this squirmy time beneficial to her total sleep amount? Sometimes when she starts the squirmy bit it's at the time where if she doesn't fall asleep ASAP she's going to be OT if she awakens. I'm in the midst of day/night reversal so OT at any time is my worst enemy.

What does her behavior mean and what should I do? Continue Ssh/Pat while she squirms or leave her be? PU and make sure she gets to sleep b/c OT is very detrimental to our day/night reversal?

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 10wk old self soothing?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 19:51:03 pm »
Tbh I'd let her be if she can get herself to sleep without your help in 15mins without getting upset, that's great :) If you're worried about getting OT, could you start the process sooner? Just wondering if you're always holding her to sleep before putting her down? Have you tried laying her down 'drowsy but awake' before she actually falls asleep?

Offline Seachelle1512

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 21:23:28 pm »
Sometimes I've laid her down awake and she'll fall asleep. This is usually when its 3am I've been trying to get her to sleep, and she fights sleep in my arms. I think once her days and nights are more solid I'll work on putting her down awake.
I do need to make sure she never gets even slightly OT, but her natural A times are anywhere from 40-60 minutes so it's been hard to find a pattern.
Thanks for responding!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 14:42:18 pm »
Honey I will close this thread as you have ongoing support on another one, ok? It good to have all information in one place.

Link to the ongoing thread:
Please help me fix my 8wk old's sleeping habits
~Marta