Author Topic: Preparing for weaning  (Read 11545 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 17:39:11 pm »
Meaty things, could I whizz up some cooked chicken or something to go into a pancake?

There is an Annabel Karmel recipe for chicken sausages that are actually really good and when my DS was a baby it was quite popular on the BW boards. It is basically whizzed up chicken, but it's done when it is raw. There is a handful of grated apple and some spices (sage and thyme I think).  You basically use your food processor to whizz up some raw chicken breast (I liked using half breast and half thigh for the extra iron and moisture), grate the apple, squeeze out the juice of the apple with your hand, and stir the apple into the chicken mixture. It's pretty disgusting and it's raw chicken so I hated making them because I fear the germs from raw chicken, but I got over it.  Roll them up into sausages the size of your thumb, roll them in egg and flour and then fry them.  You could also use breadcrumbs and try baking them instead as well.   
They are really good and we did not just make them for DS, we used them as a family meal as my picky DH liked them as well.  But they freeze really easily and are still good after thawed and gently warmed.  We do still make them from time to time!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Preparing for weaning
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 15:03:07 pm »
Ooh, these look easy! I'm making lasagne tonight so I might do a few on the side.

http://babyledfeeding.com/recipes/little-baby-lasagne-with-egg-and-dairy-free-option/
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 17:56:36 pm »
They look fabulous but honestly for me too much work all that prep for them to just shove it in their mouths ;)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 18:21:09 pm »
Oh my word I can't believe he is that old already!!!!

I really like the BLW cookbook and the river cottage toddler cookbook. My little one is OBSESSED with pasta bolognaise - he likes fusilli and I just plonk it on his tray and he crams it in! Meatballs are also popular, sausages, French toast, pancakes, muffins, those oaty bars from the BLW website. Cheese on toast, hummus wraps cut into pin wheels. Loads of fruit. Porridge and rice pudding made really thick and plonked on his tray. He likes those mini shredded wheats with apricots in - soaked in milk. He loves picking up Cheerios and has amazing fine motor skills for his age. He just basically eats what the twins eat! He also likes gumming on bits of roast chicken or steak.

For yoghurt etc if I have time I (or a twin) feeds him, otherwise I load up some spoons and let him get on with it. He will tolerate spoon feeding if its something he really likes which is nice as the twins point blank refused. He makes it clear if he wants it by grabbing the spoon and guiding it in so I am happy I'm not force feeding him.

I think I'm the only person who likes weaning!!

Oh, lentil and cheese wedges. Sooooooooo nice!!!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 18:29:18 pm »
That's a very cute recipe, and I can sort of see the value in having a baby potion but TBH both of mine just ate what we were having or a slightly simplified version.

I do like the sound of lentil and cheese wedges - recipe please?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 19:56:34 pm »
They are lush! http://www.babyledweaning.com/blw-recipes/alisons-lentil-and-cheese-wedges-2/ This is the original recipe but I add a squirt of garlic purée and I do it all in one pan - sauté onion, add lentils and garlic and water, then when the lentils are soft add the breadcrumbs and egg and cheese. I've made it in little individual silicone cupcake cases too but it's not as nice.

Mmmmmmm that's supper tomorrow!!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 19:58:40 pm »
Yum yum. We <3 red lentils.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 21:17:41 pm »
We do too!!! Slightly off topic as it is prob a bit salty for a baby.....but this soup is one of our staples http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2155646/lentil-and-bacon-soup but with more veg (whatever needs using up!) and without the stock cubes as it is salty already from the pancetta. Mmmmmmmm

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 12:10:33 pm »
Sounds lovely!

Soooo, can you give me an idea of how I'd feed this week's family dinners to a baby, please?

Monday - wraps. Dip, fried veggies, cheese, bacon bits for the boys.
Tuesday - lasagne
Wednesday- soup and sandwich
Thursday - pizza (bought marguerites with toppings thrown on)
Friday - cheese omelette, baked beans

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 13:21:42 pm »
If it was me I would

dip the veggies and give to him to hold. Small bits of cheese to pick up
Lasagna - maybe just put on his tray and let him dig in with his hands
Sandwich - he can hold and you could dip into soup for him and spoon feed a bit
Pizza - cut a strip and let him hold
Omelette - cut into strips.

I think they say to go easy on cheese though as it's quite salty. Same with bread.
Lauren

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 13:27:08 pm »
I agree with lolsy! I would give him:

Cut up veg and maybe a wrap with a bit of the dip on it rolled up (for him to play with!)
Plonk lasagne on his tray
Dunk some bits of bread in your soup and give them to him
Nice bit of pizza to gum on
Cheesey omelette is basically what the twins were weaned onto! I would squish the beans before I gave them to him as I would worry about choking, and I would use reduced sugar and salt ones.

So much fun!!!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 13:50:33 pm »
Yes, this week is quite cheese heavy isn't it? I was thinking I'd have to pull out an alternative for him on the soup and pizza nights, at least at first.

I don't think I love weaning as much as, say, cooking with kids. But we'll see!

Offline creations

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:24 am »
If it was a home made vegi soup I would make it with some larger chunks of veg when cooking, then remove them before whizzing the soup into soup, so in effect it's boiled veg wedges/batons.  Mine loved stews but I always chopped things larger than I would have otherwise to make sure that there were some big chunks to fish out when serving.  Mine also like to have his foods separated so although he loved stew it wasn't all mixed up on his plate it was in little mountains of carrots in one place, peppers another, courgettes another etc.

Wraps can be made into a baby friendly quesedila, I'd put the cheese in a wrap, fold in half and dry fry to melt the cheese so it sticks the wrap to it. Let cool and cut to fingers. I used to do this with wraps or pitta bread as it makes a sandwich which is less likely to fall apart.

lasagne, if you make your own I'd put aside a small portion of the sauce to serve separately.  It depends what kind you're making too, I sometimes make with slices of chargrilled aubergine and courgette so I would keep aside a couple of pieces of each to serve as a side to DS and a bit of the main lasagne too (I still do this as DS gets an additional veg portion that way).

omelet I make for DS in a one egg pan as it's so neat for a single egg and half way through cooking I fold in half whilst the inside is still wet so that the two halves stick together and cook it just a little longer (I make it firmer than an adult one).  That way it is thick enough to cut into decent sized pieces for picking up.
Baked beans I wouldn't serve or a very small portion and very rarely (like one tablespoon). The salt content in baked beans (even the reduced salt ones) is quite high. Thing is if your LO is happy to only have a small serving that's fine, it's when they enjoy something and want to eat loads of it that there will be a problem.  I sometimes used pre-cooked canned beans such as borloti or pinto beans (in water, no salt or sugar) but not in sauce or made my own sauce (not very often).

For alternatives when you feel your meal is not suitable I'd just steam some batons of veg, do enough on day 1 for day 2 too and just serve cold.  Or if you were going to have the oven on anyway then do some roast batons of veg, parsnip, turnip, carrot chips.

If you serve side veggies or a salad then there are likely bits of that baby can have without having the pizza, batons of cucumber, toms.  There's always fruit too.

in the very early days I always had back up portions of steamed/baked/roast apple, pear, carrots, green beans, asparagus, mange tout - not all of those all at once but just giving and example of what I might throw in the steamer for a couple of days worth of bits and pieces I knew he'd be ok with.
I often had a batch of pancakes on the go too so I could grab a few of those out of the fridge to add to a baby buffet.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the weaning once he is eating :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:12 am »
Thanks, lots of good ideas! I'm going to try homemade baked beans as DS1 thinks he'd like them.

I've made the little lasagnes, veggie ones, and they look fab! Great for my lunches, too.

I have realised today that it's not weaning per se that has got to me. It's giving up our exclusive feeding relationship; I've so enjoyed it this time and it's a big milestone. I had tubal ligation at c section so he is very definitely our last, and his babyhood is going far too fast.

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 11:41:43 am »
Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit sad about the exclusive feeding coming to an end, hopefully though you will enjoy the next stage too.  I have film of DS when he started eating which I sometimes watch back now with great fondness, it amazes me he was so little, ate so much and so well, and he was also so so funny, I end up in stitches watching and reminiscing.