Author Topic: 7 months old and still in my bed  (Read 1603 times)

Offline MyPeterPan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2016, 17:15:52 pm »
My son just turned 7 mos and is still in my bed. I just started him in mini crib right next to my bed but he wakes up crying w eyes closed several times a night. I comfort him and put in Paci and usually he goes back to sleep... I'm not sure why he does this. He'll do it out of the blue even if he's sleeping on us sometimes. Seems he wakes up to be comforted and goes back to sleep? He's always fought going to sleep and it takes him a while to and he gets crabby then finally falls asleep. Any help would be great  ::)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: 7 months old and still in my bed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 18:17:13 pm »
What specifically would you like help with?

My baby is in bed with me and I've started to put him in the bedside crib at bedtime, and if at all possible for one nap a day. It will take us a while to get fully into the crib but I want to do it gradually rather than full on.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MyPeterPan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 20:44:35 pm »
Ok makes sense. I just don't know why he wakes up crying without moving around first. He does it in the mini crib in my bed and sometimes while he's napping in our arms. He's not hungry at that time he only wakes for a bottle at 4 am... I've been hounded by friends and family that I need to get him ouT of my bed because it will be harder for him later on and he may have separation anxiety or fear to be alone. I guess baby steps are smart I just felt like s failure last night taking him out of his mini crib and bringing in my bed : / but I guess some progress is good : ) thanks for your input. He doesn'T nap long during the day but I wonder if that's just him. He always gets very cranky if he's tired even if he has his nuk he seems to never be able to easily fall asleep/pass out. He fuses for a little but then if there's no other option will eventually fall asleep. He only takes 15-30 min naps in crib and hr naps in our arms

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:44 am »
If you are bottle feeding then yes, your friends are right. It isn't considered safe to bedshare unless you are breastfeeding your baby.

Have you looked at his routine vs the sample ones on the forum FAQs? I'd start there. Does he sleep anywhere else, eg sling, buggy, car? If so I'd use those props to get him into a good routine and work on getting at least one crib nap a day.

You may need to be more forceful than I am to get him into his crib all night. There's a great plan in Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution, if you've read that.

In the meantime please make sure you are following all the safety guidelines if he does end up in bed with you.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MyPeterPan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 14:24:19 pm »
Hi thanks for the sleep training info. I'm feeding breastmilk in bottles because he never latched. He sleeps in a sleep nest so I can't roll on him ; )

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 21:20:32 pm »
Hey there, how's it going? As MJ&N said, looking at your routine could be a good place to start, if he's waking frequently it could be due to being overtired, for example. Or possibly discomfort... The more you can tell us about what's going on in the day, the more clues we have to work with if you'd like to chat through those nights ;)