Author Topic: 5mo A push for improved second nap?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 5mo A push for improved second nap?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 12:49:19 pm »
What I think is that 7 pm waking was OT, but seems like 2am was hunger? It is pretty normal at this age to still need food especially if not on solids yet.

I think rolling over is a frustrating thing for her now. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it other than wait it out. It took 2 weeks for my DS to get used to the fact that he can roll over:/

He had a good afternoon nap, so let me know how the night went.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:11 am »
Teething + a dreadful cough that's keeping her awake most of the night. I have no other solution but to feed her when she gets really distraught because she just will not settle :( she's very OT too it I can't get the third nap and I can't extend the second. It's a total mess. The last two days she's had a good first nap but as you can see from our EASY, that's totally unpredictable too.

She is waking in the early hours of the morning and not necessarily hungry crying but whinging and carrying on. She has such difficulty settling at this time that I end up feeding her. Should I do this as soon as she wakes or let her whinge / mantra cry? she'll also roll onto her tummy and then get agitated. She can roll both ways when on the floor so this constant rolling but not happy and not rolling back is driving me crazy.

Wednesday night she....
NW: 4.45. Fed her, asleep again at 5.15

Thursday
WU: 7.20, OOB at 7.30
Nap1: 10.00-12.00
Nap2: 2.40; 2.45-3.30. Tried to resettle in my arms until 4.30.
BT: 6.27 in bed but keeps rolling over and then vomited milk everywhere so had to change her and the bed. Not asleep until 7.30.
NW: 4.00am - rolling and chatting and grizzling, couldn't resettle. Fed her at 4.40, but not asleep until 5.30am.

Friday
WU: 7.20
Nap: 1: 10.10; 10.15-12.30
E: 2.50. Got stuck at the shops. Fell asleep on her bottle.
Nap 2: 3.06; 3.11-3.38. Constantly coughing and crying to sleep and on wakeup.
BT: 6.00, mantra crying until 6.20. Woke at 7.00 crying but resettled at 7.20.
NW: 9.15. Fed her at 9.30 and she fell back asleep at 9.45pm

Offline Bella89

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 18:28:57 pm »
I think you're doing great! Remember, even if LO doesn't want  to keep with EASY you should always try.

When teething LOs like to suck on breast or bottle, it massages their gums. Or maybe you could give her something else to chew?

I honestly thing lots of it is caused by rolling over:/ It will pass.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 18:49:01 pm »
I can't quite understand though because she's been rolling for over a month!!

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 05:14:30 am »
Hello Bella!

This is what's been happening here. Every day is so different, even when I'm really consistent. The 4-5am feed is really annoying but I'm not starting my day at that time.

Saturday 19/3
WU: 5.40 chatting.
Nap 1: 10.40 - 12.40
Nap 2: 3.00; 3.05. Woke after a few minutes crying then a few more minutes of coughing and crying.
Protesting going into her room and into cot. Yawned once in bed.
Woke 3.40 crying. Resettled and slept/dozed until 4.40
BT: 7.02, 7.20/7.30 asleep!
NW: 10.00; tried to resettle her for over 1/2 an hour. Hubby then fed her.
NF: 10.40 (180ml)
NW: 1.30. Crying and coughing but resettled herself

Sunday 20/3
WU: 8.20
E: 8.30 (not interested)
A:
E: solids
Nap1: 11.00; 11.05-11.48. Someone slammed front door so not sure if this woke her or not!
Nap2: 2.30; 2.40-3.07 then 4.00-4.56
^protested going down. Took an hour for her to resettle!

Monday 21/3
WU: 7.30 (had to wake her)
Nap 1: 10.50-11.15
Nap 2: 12.50-1.45
Nap 3: 3.27; 3.33-4.07

Offline Bella89

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 20:00:22 pm »
Hi there,
sorry it took some time to answear your post. I actually asked around for other opinions, because I have to admit she got me puzzled :)
It's not always easy to find the reason for these wakings and short naps.

What I think is happening here is 3-2 transition that we certainly want to help her with.
I truelly think extending that first A time was a smart move, just because she is getting a good nap on that A time.
But another mod suggested something I missed. There are kids that just can't do a long second nap if they have 2h first one.SO basicaly they have certain amount of day sleep to distribute and that's it. SO I wonder if that's the case...
Another thing was that maybe we should extend one A time at a time (;P), so extend the first one but not the second because maybe she can't play for that lond midday.

What do you think?

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 10:56:58 am »
Thanks so much Bella!!

We've brought back the awake times considerably.

First A is 2.5hrs into bed and she's been sleeping 2hrs. She's not too cranky and she goes to sleep quickly 

Second A today was 2.5 again and she wasn't protest crying but sleepy sound crying in my arms when I put her down and she slept 30 minutes. I really wanted to get her back to sleep so spent an hour with her and she did another 45mins.

hubby has been doing bedtime no later than ASLEEP by 2.5hrs - which is actually her in bed at the 2hr mark and she's been going down absolutely no fuss the last 3 nights and drifting off quietly, not a peep.

So, yes I can see the 3-2 is here but her A times aren't long enough. Today during that mid day awake time she was SO tired.

The nights are REALLY strange and she'll either have a wake anywhere between 10.30pm and 3.00am where she'll feed and sleep through to 7/7.30 or later. OR sleep through until 4/5am where we feed again and she goes back down until 8.30 or later.

If I'm getting a good nap in the morning and she's happy versus me trying to keep her awake and making her cranky and having 1hr15min naps I'll stick to it. It's the middle one that's a real pain and today showed me that it's not just UT but OT which I didn't think it was.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 11:29:27 am »
I completely agree, 3-2 takes time. What I did during that difficult time is until A times were long enough to give me 2 good naps, the second A time was shorter than the first one and I was taking DS for a walk in his stroller around that 3rd nap. Sometimes he slept 30 min sometimes he just enjoyed the park and had some quiete time.
During that time, I was just shortening that 3rd nap accordingly, and pushed it out at the same time. There were 4 days when DS slept 20min 5:30-5:50.
Just an idea.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 09:31:33 am »
Thanks for the support Bella, if I'm honest, early bedtime is working for her at the moment but her A times still are quite low. Today was an exceptional day but bedtime we pushed to 2.5hrs into bed and she struggled, after such a big nap. She did fall asleep around 20 minutes later but she seemed OT vs UT - moaning and grizzling. The last three nights when down at the 2hr mark she's not said a word and just closed her eyes and gone to sleep. What are your thoughts? I have absolutely NO idea how today worked out with 2 solid naps...bloody hell I hope it keeps happening. Her milk intake was minimal today though, definitely teething.

Tuesday 22/3
WU: 6.50, fell back asleep until 7.40. Hubby accidentally woke her.
E: 180ml
E: solids, a few tsp of apple and BLW (toast crust and a piece of orange)
Nap 1: 10.00; 10.05-12.13
E: 100ml (took over an hour).
A:
S: 2.38; 2.45-3.19.
S: 4.24-5.07
^^sleepy sound cries in my arms.
BT: 7.15; 7.27
NF: 2.40 (180ml)
S: 3.00-7.10

Wednesday 23/3
WU: 7.10
Nap: 9.33; 9.38-11.08
Nap 2: 1.32; 1.37-3.48
BT: 6.27; 6.47 asleep.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 21:15:43 pm »
I think it is very difficult to say if she was OT or maybe it's just teething not letting her sleep:/
My DS is always very sleepy when he is teething. I think it's a common thing - they're sleepy but it hurts and they are really cranky:/
But hey, she sleeps!! :) Yay ;]

I think the routine looks good. You should give her more time to extend A times - her naps are long so she is fine with the situation as is for some time, try extending when her tooth will erupt.

Keep me posted!
Good luck!