Author Topic: Was it too soon to drop NF?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Was it too soon to drop NF?
« on: March 09, 2016, 21:14:04 pm »
I whittled my 6.5mo NFs down to just one over the last few weeks. Then about 3 nights ago, I decided to drop the last one too!
She was waking up every night at exactly 3:40am on the dot, so I decided to see if she would go back to sleep without the feed. It worked!
Now what I'm wondering though, is if it was the right time? Since having dropped the NF, she has woken up at 4:30, 5:15, and 6am.

Its like she goes back to sleep but can't get past more than one sleep cycle. When she finally woke up this morning, I couldn't get her to feed more than just one side too. So, I'm not sure if its a food thing. What do you think?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Was it too soon to drop NF?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 21:26:20 pm »
My memory of hunger is when they nod off but wake up again like 10-20 mins later rather than a full sleep cycle. Perhaps I have forgotten though.  It doesn't sound like she was ravenous when you fed her though.
6.5 months, could be teething?  There can be enough discomfort caused by teeth moving to disturb sleep for a while even if they are not yet cutting.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 19:50:18 pm »
Hm. It could be teething. Not sure.
Last night she woke up at 4am, 5am and then we got up at 6am.
Its like from 4am and on, she can't sleep heavily anymore. Argh.
I don't think its a food thing now. She doesnt act ravenous when she wakes up for the day either, so I think it must either be habit or like you said, teething.  ???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 19:03:12 pm »
I've just read your feeding solids food thread and responded, but now I'm making the link.
I basically said over there that it's ok so long as she's still taking her milk but now I see this thread I'm wondering if she has actually cut her milk intake back too much - is she still reluctant to take a full BF as you said in the first post here?

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 21:46:17 pm »
Just another thought about the first bf of the day - is it possible that your letdown is stronger after a whole night without feeding, compared to what it was when she'd fed at 3:40am? Our supplies tend to be higher first thing in the morning, I just wondered whether she might be struggling to get used to that and then isn't keen on taking the second side - or, perhaps she gets more from the first side than she would have done having 'emptied' it during the night? Do you always offer the same side first? My DD has always had a preference for my right breast, no idea why, but when she's teething or distracted or congested or whatever it may be...she'll only take the right side and reject the left, and she's done that for a very long time. Does your DD always feed from both sides during the day? Just suggesting an alternative possibility, in case she is actually hungry but there's another reason for not wanting both sides first thing - see which seems to fit best to you :)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 18:09:55 pm »
Its been a while now since I've dropped the NFs. Its going better, though she is STILL waking at 4am.
Anyway, I think my boobs have regulated themselves too, as she is Bfing much better now. Her preference is definitely the left boob, so I always start with the right one. :) I have been trying to pay more attention to her environment too, since your comments made me think that perhaps there could be more to it than just not hungry.
I have definitely discovered that when her brother (2year old) is up then getting her to eat is really hard. She is so distracted. *sigh* Papa is always off to work before we get up, so it'll just be a struggle I guess until she gets older. I do sit in the other room to feed her at which time my 2 year old likes to play with his breakfast etc.  >:( I can see him and he knows I am feeding, so his eggs, cereals, whatever end up on the wall, his hair, etc. grrrrrrr

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:21:48 am »
I have definitely discovered that when her brother (2year old) is up then getting her to eat is really hard. She is so distracted. *sigh* Papa is always off to work before we get up, so it'll just be a struggle I guess until she gets older. I do sit in the other room to feed her at which time my 2 year old likes to play with his breakfast etc.   I can see him and he knows I am feeding, so his eggs, cereals, whatever end up on the wall, his hair, etc. grrrrrrr
That's exactly what happens here! DS just cannot focus on nursing when DD is nearby playing. I'm also on my own in the morning so I know how tough it can be. DS is 15 months now so I'm not worried about whether or not he gets a full feed in the morning but when he was smaller I often let DD watch a bit of tv so I could get 15 uninterrupted minutes to nurse DS.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014