Author Topic: 1 month old wakes up when pacifier falls out and trouble self settling  (Read 3203 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 1 month old wakes up when pacifier falls out and trouble self settling
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 20:58:02 pm »
Sorry of course I knew about the reflux from your other thread :-[ I wonder if you might bring it up with the doc again? Not sure where you are, but in the UK we have a post-natal check up around 6-8 weeks, so if you have one, why not bring it up then? Sorry, can't remember and it's not jumping out at me, looking back - does she ever nap in a sling, in a more upright position? That worked so well for my DD, I should have done it more for DS in hindsight. At least if you can get a really good long nap or two like that, then he'll be less OT overall and hopefully have a better chance of settling when he does go down in his crib. Btw 6-8 weeks or so is apparently a peak crying time for most LOs :-\ but the good news is that things do tend to (slowly) improve after that, so hang on in there :-* Oh and I'm not saying definitely reflux, but there's no harm in taking some measures to make him more comfortable in case it is that, do bring it up with your doc again, I really regretted not having done that with my DS (several people on here advised me to, but I just didn't have the confidence after being told it probably wasn't reflux because his weight gain was really good - as Katherine says, not true!). I'm just saying this as DD was medicated, after a lactation consultant recommended it, suspecting silent reflux - and it made such a big difference to her :)

Btw try not to worry about a little fussing if she's doing it to settle herself - but equally if she's clearly upset, then try not to worry about independent sleep, by all means have a go for a while, but if it's just making her more upset then I'd honestly just do whatever you need to do to help calm her down for sleep, especially since you don't really know at this stage whether she's in discomfort from reflux or anything else. Sorry can't remember if I already gave you this link elsewhere, but in case not:

Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Sleep and the reflux baby.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 21:01:30 pm by trimbler »

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 18:59:12 pm »
How long do you try to ssh-pat for naps before giving up? Do you skip the nap or you try to do whatever works to get her to sleep?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 20:36:24 pm »
At this age I'd have tried 10-15 mins max and then done whatever worked to prevent too much OT x