Author Topic: 16 month old skipping naps occasionally  (Read 981 times)

Offline mhatlas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:07:25 am »
My DD dropped her second nap right around her birthday.  Since then, she'd been taking one pretty good nap per day; somewhere between 1.25 to 3 hours.  Usually it was averaging around 2 hours.  The kicker was, up until a few weeks ago, I was standing next to her until she fell asleep.  I used the Sleep Lady Shuffle to put an end to that at naps and bedtime and it went pretty well.... for a couple of weeks.

Twice within the last week, she has hung out in her crib for an hour straight at nap time with 0 sleep.  A couple of times she rolled around for 40 minutes before falling asleep and then yesterday, she fell asleep in less than 5 minutes.  On the days where she skips her nap, she's in a great mood all day and fall asleep instantly at bedtime.

Our schedule is (ideally)
7a-up
1-3-Nap
7:45-in bed, asleep by 8:20.

I'm trying by best to just roll with this (in truth, I get a little cranky when she doesn't nap) and I DON'T want to take any steps backwards at getting myself out of the room while she falls asleep.  I just thought I would check with you guys and see if there are any tweaks I need to make in the schedule.  I've tried bumping her nap back a few minutes, but it doesn't seem to matter much.  Any thoughts?  I think she's REALLY young to not need at least one nap per day.

TIA

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 16 month old skipping naps occasionally
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 13:03:09 pm »
Sounds like it could be the 18 month sleep regression kicking in - started at 16 months for both of mine.  I'd just stay consistent with the routine, put her down for the nap every day and let her have a good bit of quiet time if she doesn't sleep.  I'd also (given her age) probably time a car journey or walk for mid afternoon if she hasn't napped to give her chance to doze off if she wants.  On days she doesn't nap or has a short nap then I would bring bedtime earlier to compensate.  Routine looks fine though so I would stick to it for now and see where you are in a week or two x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 16 month old skipping naps occasionally
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 16:33:24 pm »
Have to agree that it does sound like a 'blip'!  I think it is amazing that she is able to stay there on her own for the time so at least she is getting the opportunity to chill and fall asleep if she can. It gives you a bit of Y time too. If Olly wasn't going to sleep he would certainly let you know about it!