Author Topic: Longer and confusing NW  (Read 13528 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: Longer and confusing NW
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »
Hello!

I am wondering could a NW 1.5 hr after BT be UT related if DS refuses to go back to sleep for another hour?

Also how do I get out of a UT/OT loop? I have been at family's for last two days and his sleep went haywire!

Saturday we had a late bday and I went against my instincts and let him be up for a little after he slept for 45 minutes in the car. I should have put him back down immediately but family was excited to see him understandably. Anyways, he had two long wakings and other NW plus a EW only sleeping 8 hours- very OT yesterday as a result. Anyways yesterday, I shortened A times plus he napped in the car on the way to a shower. So his A times ran from 2.5-3.5. He again had a horrible night with a EMW that lasted an hour. His wake up time is late now and I want to get back on track but don't know how.  ???

I didn't document an EASY bc I knew things would be off. I just didn't think they would be THIS off. We were finally getting back on track haha I'm exhausted!
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »
I think it would be good to pick a wake up and average A times and bedtime and just go for it for 4-5 days. Very hard to know for sure what will work without a good run of consistency.  He seems to be using the later wake ups to make up for the NWs but that is counter productive.

Honestly I'd just pick a wake up time and that's the time you get up regardless of the night.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 17:33:36 pm »
Thanks Shiv!

Things hit the fan last night when he was waking every hour  :o

I know it's a mix of OT and teething. His top teeth are right there ready to break so his gums are very swollen and he's in notable pain. My DH wanted to get a night without Motrin which was a mistake bc by 1:30 am he was waking every 45 minutes crying! So we gave him a dose and he slept better. Tonight I hope goes better and yes I will be back to waking him up tomorrow. I'll keep you both posted within a couple of days.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 12:00:55 pm »
I just want to ask if DS ends up going to bed at 10 (I know super late); is him waking up for the day at 7 am a result of that?

This is the least amount of sleep he has had ever and now he has a cold so I'm concerned. My husband did let him sleep too long for one of his naps which is why BT was pushed back tremendously. However, he only had 11.5 overall sleep hours which is very low so I'm thinking OT.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 15:02:04 pm »
It's hard to know really.   I think I'd pick a day that you know you have nothing coming up for the next 4/5 days and agree a routine with your DH. Wake up,naps, nap length and bedtime and stick to it without fail. I'd say after that we'll have a better idea of what is OT/UT and good A time.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 16:10:32 pm »
Yes! I figured it could be either or something else.

After we go home today from our family visit, our plan is to get DS back to his regular 7:30 wake ups because he does horribly with late bedtimes etc.

Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 13:42:39 pm »
Hey there, just checking in and wondering how things are going? :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 20:15:09 pm »
HI Timbler!  ;D

Thanks checking in! We are doing ok. His A times have been consistent for a couple of days but Are getting long early wakings again as well as OT wakings at night...again smh.

Now he is recovering from a cold. Nothing serious just some sniffles and he's still teething the top two.

Not sure what to do at this point. I haven't changed A times for about a month now but have decreased slightly due to teething and illness earlier in the month but now I'm trying out his old A times since I'm getting EMW. Still not helping though so not sure if it's teething or routine related.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 21:16:42 pm »
Do you want to post your day?

If A times have been consistent with wake up too then it should be easier to see what's going on the naps and nights xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 00:36:53 am »
Hi Shiv!

Well we are coming back on our previous consistent routine. He still had a 8;30 wake up which I plan to move to 8 tomorrow and stay there for a few days. I know his bedtime is still too late. Here is the day. We have been getting broken naps 32-36 minutes. I did the long am/short pm bc he would wake up in the am after 30ish minutes and figured it might be OT let me resettle. Perhaps it's causing EMW?
Not sure. Regardless I'm getting broken naps and NW like below.

NW 12:07, 1:35, 4:15, briefly around 5, 7-7:45
Total 10 hrs

WU 8:30
E 9 am
A
E 10:30 (solids and BF)
A
S 11:58- 1:21 pm (A 3:28; hand on back; woke up at 32)
E 1:25
A
E 2:30 (solids)
A
S 4:40-5:27 pm (A 3:19)
E 5:35
A
E 7 pm (solids)
A
BF/BT 8:20 pm (2:53A)
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 20:37:52 pm »
Just an update:

Last night/morning same thing with NW and EMW. Today so far is:

WU 8 am
Nap 1: 11:30-12:30 pm (A 3:30; he woke himself)
Nap 2: 4- 5:15 pm(woke up 32 minutes into sleep; I resettled him)
BT 8:20 pm (A 3.25)

NW 1:46, 4:35 am (fed at both times despite holding off at the 4:30 waking)

Not sure if this sheds any light at all just thought I would give more info. Last night the NW were much better. However, He keeps waking up wide awake.

Today (Sunday) he woke up at 7 and didn't go back to sleep. I'm just afraid he's going to wake up earlier and earlier. Is this UT maybe? I doubt it's OT bc of the night he had. He did do an almost 11 hour night with around 10 hours of sleep but my day doesn't equal to 13 hours due to the naps.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:42:56 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 20:03:55 pm »
Hi there, I'm sorry, I know you've had a few other threads going on at various times and I've just tried to look back at some of them to try and get an idea of the bigger picture. One thing I'd find really interesting would be how he seems during his A times? I mean, does he seem generally bright and happy, or are there times when he's really struggling to hold it together, or alternatively does he ever seem kind of crazy hyper/delirious? Not always easy to tell, I appreciate, but both of mine have certainly been capable of going completely crazy in an often hilarious way, but obviously caused by OT. Or on the other hand have more tantrums etc than usual, or just want to lie down, etc. I can generally be confident that mine are getting enough sleep overall if they're on an even keel, so to speak - yes, DS really needs to have lots of physical exercise or else he's bouncing off the walls (as a baby, I found he needed to get outside regularly, even before he could walk around himself) - but on days when I know they've each had what they generally need, and are well etc, I can often put 'crazy' behaviour down to OT and then I know I need to try and get a little more sleep into them. Sorry I'm rambling, but my point is that you know your DS best, and so I feel I need to know how you feel about whether he's getting enough sleep overall - I could guess that he's OT (as my LOs probably would have been with those sorts of naps) but if he's really doing fine during the day and on an 'even keel' then there's probably little point in trying to get more sleep into him and we'll need to aim for something with a little less daytime sleep, perhaps, or just longer A times. Does that make sense at all? So, how do you feel he's really doing? :-*

Btw I noticed you've kept switching between wanting to do long am, short pm naps, and vice versa. So just letting you know we did short am, long pm with both of ours - for DS it was clearly his natural rhythm; with DD I think she'd have got on better with the other way around but we kind of had to force her into the same thing in order to fit around DS, and it did kind of work out OK in the end ;) We found a really consistent routine before the am nap and a consistent beginning and end time really helped with this. But anyway, more on that if you decide that's the way you want to go - I'll hang back for others to advise if you want to keep with the long am nap ;)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 22:34:16 pm »
Hi Timbler!

Thank you so much for replying...

In regards to knowing DS mood, he's generally a happy and very active baby. When he gets tired he gets whiny and when OT he gets hyper (when really OT that's when meltdowns occur). However, he rarely has OT related meltdowns. Usually it's when we have been at events where we missed bedtime coupled with bad naps all day. I think that is what is so confusing lately because mood wise he is generally happy. He does get fussy at the end of A times. However, he is teething and recovering from a cold so that doesn't help in gaging whether he really is ready for a nap or not ::)

I guess what I am trying to say is that he is generally happy throughout his A times but naps are still broken. When he wakes up he fusses a bit but then is completely fine. I wouldn't mind the napping situation if he didn't wake up so much throughout the night and have long EMW. He's perky in the morning too lol

I have gone back and forth between 3.25-3.5 A times for around a month or more due to illness and teething. However, I'm wondering if I need a routine change since it seems he is getting up earlier and earlier which I wanted it at 7:30 but at this rate I'm afraid that he will be waking up at 6 then 5 throughout this week!  ???

In regards to longer am/shorter pm versus shorter am/longer pm, it seems that I would prefer longer pm with a shorter am but naturally he seems to lean the other way. However, I think it may cause EMW? I don't know actually lol
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 22:38:28 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 11:40:54 am »
I think I'd make a routine best on your best guess at this point and stick to it for a full week. So same wake up naps and bedtime.   We did long am, short PM as mine slept better at night that way. But some LOs don't cope well with that as they need too long an A time after a longer nap and the day gets long.

How long is your short nap meant to be? 

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:45 pm »
I have been trying to be consistent with nap times and bedtime but it's difficult because he keeps waking up earlier and earlier then sometimes snoozing then sometimes not. Today it was 6:30 am wide awake attempting to play after only a 10 hour night. He did have a disaster day of naps that started with a UT nap in the car. Today I don't know what time he officially woke up bc after I fed him at 6:30 (hoping he would sleep for another hour) I went back to sleep. He woke me up at like 7:45ish so I'm assuming he went back to sleep for an hour but that's just a guess smh I'm exhausted from last night so I didn't monitor as well his morning snoozing. Basically today I'm shooting in the dark with regards to nap times since his cues are not always reliable. At the very least, I hope he catches up on sleep today to start fresh tomorrow  :-\

I'm hoping for a suggestion on where to even begin to carve out a routine. He can do 12 hour nights but in the last week or so it's been dwindling to now 10-10.5 hour nights including NW ugh. Not sure where to start with the tweaking; I kinda feel stuck. I know this is part of the beginnings of the 2-1 transition but wow this is tricky.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 13:16:31 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx