Author Topic: Longer and confusing NW  (Read 13431 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: Longer and confusing NW
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2016, 20:18:24 pm »
Lol yes I'm sorry!!!

Here's how the yesterday and last night went:

NW 10:36 (screaming and crying), 2:23 am (fed but restless afterwards), 5:50 am

Total 10.5

WU 7:33 am
S 11:02- 11:57 am (A 3:29; SS)
S 3:42- 5:13 pm )A 3:45; was falling asleep at 3:30A but pooped again (food affected him); stirred around 49 mark)
BT 8:45 pm (A 3:32)

NW 11:54-12:33 (crying and restless; may have been stomach issues; settled when I fed); 5:11 am

Woke up for the day at 7:15 with 10 hours of sleep  :-\

Wondering if I should cap his am nap?
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2016, 19:00:28 pm »
Hmm sounds a bit OT, but then that second nap was delayed from what you'd intended and that stirring halfway through might indicate that he was already OT. How about try same again, but feed him a bit earlier before that second nap, in the hope that any poo happens before you want to PD? But if the same thing happens again, I'd keep BT to 8:30 as planned, to keep the same overall A, rather than push it back to keep the same last A - does that make sense?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2016, 23:54:58 pm »
Ok! Sorry now my slow sleep deprived mommy brain isn't processing when you say keep overall A the same but not the last A when having BT at 8:30?

Yes I'm thinking I will do:

WU 7:30
S 11-11:45 am
S 3:30-5 pm
BT 8:30 pm

Yesterday he had around 2 hours of day sleep and slept much better with no EMW!! He slept 11 hours!
I'm definitely seeing improvement  ;D
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2016, 23:23:27 pm »
Yeah sorry, I wasn't clear, was I? :P I just meant that if the second nap is delayed then he's had a slightly longer second A, so don't then delay BT in order to maintain a consistent last A, because he'll already be more tired due to having that longer second A - so keep BT the same if the nap was later but the same length - does that make sense?

Great to hear of improvement, well done both of you :D

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2016, 01:51:10 am »
Ahhhhh yes that makes total sense! Wish I did that today lol So I think something is going on bc today he woke up at 25 minutes after going down for naps. Last night he was up every 1.5-2 hrs  :o

I think he may be starting to teeth again!

This is the EASY we came up with correct?

WU 7:30
S 11-11:45 am
S 3:30-5 pm
BT 8:30 pm

I just want to make sure I didn't go crazy with A times lol
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2016, 12:51:14 pm »
Aw poor thing, yes it does sound like discomfort, doesn't it? :-\

Yes I think that was what we came up with together as a starting point - after a few days of it we may be able to see more clearly where to tweak, but then again if he's teething it won't be perfect :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2016, 16:15:53 pm »
Yes it looks like discomfort. I saw a little white blotch where I can see the tooth under the gums on each lateral incisor this morning. He has been whimpering a bit in his sleep too. So I guess here we go again  ::)

Last night he went to bed OT bc we were hesitant on giving medicine especially since he just went through cutting his top central incisors. They aren't even fully grown in! But after he fought sleep and high pitch cried, we gave him tylonel so as expected he woke up OT twice but slept better the rest of the night. Today he woke up again at 28 minutes into his am nap despite giving him teething tablets. This happened yesterday as well. I resettled him in two minutes and will wake him up at 45 minutes to an hour. Then do a 3:75 A for second nap. I did that yesterday after an almost 1:10 nap but he gave me another 1:10 nap (after resettling) so maybe if I cut the am nap by 10-15 minutes it will tack onto the second nap.

Any thoughts?
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2016, 21:05:06 pm »
So for the pm nap he woke after 25 minutes crying  ??? I put him down around 3.75 after the am nap. Perhaps it is teething. This the second day he has woke up before a half hour into each nap.

Should I be putting him down earlier if he's teething?
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 19:26:29 pm »
Teething can definitely mess things up :-\ I think it's quite common for those top lateral incisors to come in soon after, or even together with, the top central ones. I really wouldn't worry about medicating for that, I personally give meds before lunch/nap and again at BT, sometimes another does during the night too. Just don't exceed the maximum number of doses over 24h and of course don't give more than the recommended dose each time, but other than that, it's very common for these LOs to be getting pain meds for several days whilst teething/ill... I'd be more concerned if I didn't know the reason for the fever/discomfort and then would take my LOs to the doc if I was having to keep giving the meds for an unknown reason - but since it's clearly teething, you already know what to do :-*

LOs often do get more tired when teething, partly I'm sure because their sleep isn't so good, but the constant discomfort is probably also tiring for them. So for that reason you might find that he needs to go down a little earlier than usual, but I wouldn't drastically change your routine because of it.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 20:32:11 pm »
That makes sense!

Last night he slept for 8 hours straight! I'm hoping this is bc his routine has been more on track  ;D I did give him medicine before bed but by the morning he was tossing and turning from discomfort poor baby. Nonetheless a much better night!

As for medication, my only concern is that he's SUCH a slow teether so I have given him meds for two weeks at a time for bedtime and then homeopathic stuff for naps! I'm so worried that that's too much for his little body so that's why I'm trying to be as conservative as possible since we just got through the top central ones cutting.

Anyways, I'm going to stick with the routine and resettle if needed unless he clearly shows me he wants to go to sleep sooner.  He's very active and happy nonetheless. It's only naps getting cut short. Today was 33 minutes into the am which is some improvement.
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 22:27:46 pm »
Great night-time stretch there :D

Yeeeaah... I guess I just don't worry about giving the meds any more, DD is also a frustratingly slow (and late!) teether but I don't want to tell you to do something you're not comfortable with. Not sure how it works your side of the pond, but over here we can just pop into a local pharmacy and chat about that sort of thing?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:07 am »
Yes!  :D I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke. But it's about to go haywire since we leave town tomorrow and we are going across time zones. Of course right before we go away, he starts to sleep amazingly...such a tease lol

I have been slowly shifting his routine forward the last couple of days with the hope the we aren't getting up at 5 am while away!

I have a question: when coming back do I gradually shift his routine back again or do I do it in one swoop?

Thank you for all your help!
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »
Well I think I pushed too hard for a late bedtime bc it backfired.  :-\

I managed to get him to an almost 10 pm BT since hopefully it would mean a 9 am wake up which would convert to a 6 am wake up in our destination. Well instead I got NW every 3 hours and a 7:30 wake up smh he refuses to go back to sleep. I'm sort of freaking out at the fact I am starting off with an OT baby.

I'm wondering if there are any tips for this sort of situation or do I just roll with it in hopes he will just adjust for the next few days away.
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2016, 20:00:57 pm »
Changing time zones must be such a pain :-\ So basically, you're trying to shift 1.5h, right? I suspect there are lots of opinions on this! I personally like to do daylight savings changes very slowly if possible, my 5yo can cope with bigger jumps now but when my LOs have been younger they've needed gradual changes. So I guess I'd lean towards doing it slowly in your case, since you're only shifting 1.5h, as opposed to, say, 5h.

At least though, whatever happens, you know roughly what to aim for on your return, once he's caught up with OT. I'm sure there used to be a FAQ on adjusting between time zones, I'm going to ask/dig around for it...

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2016, 20:20:55 pm »
Ha! It will be! We leave tomorrow so unfortunately no more time to shift but good to know for next time. I did too much too fast and it resulted in DS having an OT short night.

I would love a link to cope with the return bc I'm definitely a little nervous about getting him back on track. Thankfully it's only a few days so it will help bouncing back sooner rather than later.  :D
Jennifer xx