Author Topic: How to get enough fat?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:01 am »
Hi, looking for some advice for my 10.5 month old son. Trying to ensure he gets enough fat in his diet.

He is breastfed morning and bedtime. Once in the night which we are trying to wean. He goes to daycare 4 days a week and refuses any breast milk there. Days at home, he nursed before his 1 nap. We have tried multiple ways of giving breast milk at daycare, he used to take it fine but now will not.

He is sensitive to dairy (eczema flare ups), my dd was mspi as well but grew out of it completely before 2 years. Dairy at the moment for my son is not an option. Will keep trialling every couple months like we did with dd.  So far he is not keen on coconut milk or yogurt. Can't have nut milks at daycare. And won't eat avocado (will definitely keep trying this).  Any advice on how to ensure he gets enough fat in his diet? 

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: How to get enough fat?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:10:24 am »
Veggies sauteed in coconut oil? Olive oil added to rice (instead of butter)? Dark meat chicken. Oily fish, too.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 14:02:40 pm »
We have tried multiple ways of giving breast milk at daycare, he used to take it fine but now will not.
I know you say you've tried various ways, have you tried a milk pudding? blancmange? You can literally just add corn flour and cook it through then let it set to make a firm pudding which can be eaten with a spoon.  Add some flavour such as vanilla or nutmeg if you like or perhaps a whizzes/pureed banana for flavour. Or firm egg custard made with breast milk (so there are eggs as well as milk).

At this age I still looked at having a balanced diet over a week rather than each day/meal, it's possible he's taking enough during the time he is not in day care.  You could also have more fats during the days he is not in day care such as nut butters (smooth).  Mine certainly had some days which were more on the side of veg and some more on the side of proteins for instance but it all balanced across the week.

Seeds are high fat, not a great food in themselves for young LOs but tahini might be an option added to a sandwich or other home cooked foods.
Eggs? eggy bread, fritata, quiche, omelet, or used in baking. There's a chick pea cupcake recipe which is very eggy for instance.

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 15:51:04 pm »
Oh Thank you!  You guys are brilliant!  Why didn't I think of cooking with breastmilk!  haha.  I kept thinking of things like custard - but it's milk, various other things, but they take milk!  Why not use breastmilk!?  Thank you for waking me up.

I just boiled a bunch of eggs so they are easy and ready for him to take to daycare.  We often have scrambled eggs on the weekend and he eats 2-3 whole eggs!!!  I guess we're not doing quite as bad as I thought. I will get more creative with oils and adding breastmilk to things just to be on the safe side. He really doesn't like puree type foods so it's tough because I'm having to figure out ways of cooking everything into things he can feed himself.  My daughter was easy, she loved homemade squeeze packs and I could add breastmilk or sunflower seed oil, or other forms of fat into them easy but my son is a LOT harder to feed. He eats lots of chicken thighs (we prefer them too!) Fish though - I'll definitely have to up the fish on our menu, I forgot about that too!  Will be looking up a recipe for milk pudding, blancmange!  Thank you so much ladies for getting me out of my rut.  I think I really was stuck with the basics and just needed that nudge.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 21:20:28 pm »
Glad we could help :)

Mine also did not eat purees and I made almost everything as finger food, he would sometimes eat humus though to my surprise, the milk pudding or egg custard can be made quite firm and perhaps cut into cubes, it would still be smooth though so if he doesn't like the texture of that then you might have to rethink but if he is happy to eat scrambled egg I think he would eat a breast milk pudding.  Obviously I would suggest making any pudding sugar free at this age.
Sounds like he has lots of good food! lots of eggs and chicken thighs!

Offline lyssabz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 19:08:45 pm »
Another idea is making some green smoothies with avocados in them. You can even through in some almonds too. Lots of natural fats there!