Author Topic: How much do babies eat?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How much do babies eat?
« on: March 14, 2016, 19:56:17 pm »
just wondering how much a baby typically eats?
My nearly 7mo old eats a whole jar (190g) of baby food at every meal and will happily suck on baby crackers etc. afterwards.
I don't remember my first baby eating so much, so early.

Should I just feed her as she wishes or should I be limiting her intake? She always breastfeeds an hour before its time for solids (she Bfs super fast).

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much do babies eat?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 18:58:47 pm »
Guides say that at 6 months 2 tsp of puree is a portion size (although had I given my DS that little food at 6 months he would have screamed blue murder!). I can't say I really know how much puree a typical 7 month old would eat but so long as her milk intake hasn't dropped then it's probably fine.  If you are concerned it is too much you could switch to purely finger foods. This is a good age to introduce finger foods anyway.

Mine didn't have purees but he did eat a lot of solids from the word go. I think some are just like that.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 18:11:13 pm »

OK! She still drinks milk BEFORE she eats and I am pretty sure its as much/little as ever. I'll just go with it.

Offline lyssabz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 19:05:13 pm »
I had the same question. My 7 month old could eat a ton if I let her but it affects how much milk she'll drink.  So I limit but I don't want to limit too much so she doesn't wake up at night hungry.  2 tsp or even 2 tbsp still seems like it's not enough though. Just trying to find a balance between the food and milk. We are also having teething issues! She just popped out her first tooth last week!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 19:13:44 pm »
At 7 months it's the milk that's going to see them through the night rather than the solids. Too much solids (and milk dropping) would end up meaning more night wake ups as LO will be looking for food.
You LO might be more satisfied with finger foods, it takes more effort to eat and feels more substantial than purée.