Author Topic: 13.5 mo with sleep changes  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
13.5 mo with sleep changes
« on: March 14, 2016, 20:28:23 pm »
Hi there,
I will try to be brief because I know we are all busy:)
DS is 13.5 months and last week was very difficult. I don't know if it was wonder week (never read a book) or some developmental leap, but he was touchy and grouchy for days. He is over it but his day changed:/

Was:
7WU
12-3 nap
7:30 BT

Is:
5:45-6 WU
12-1:30 or 2 nap
7:30 BT

He is on 1 nap since 10 mo and it helped us a lot.
What is going on? Why did he cut on nap time and wakes so early :(

I work at home and that gives me no time for it at all. Especially that he started walking 2 weeks ago:/
Is there anything I can do?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 13.5 mo with sleep changes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:10:38 am »
Especially that he started walking 2 weeks ago
I wonder if this has something to do with it?  How did he do with other developmental stuff - rolling, crawling, etc?  Also, while his sleep needs may have changed, he's suddenly getting a LOT less sleep than he used to -- have you tried putting him down for his nap earlier and keeping your A time at 5 hours if he's waking up earlier?  With maybe a longer wind down if he's more excited from being able to walk?  Or split the difference and aim for 5.5 hours? 

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:54:35 am »
We had the worst time with rolling over, because he was not a tummy sleeper as he is right now. With crawling I didn't notice anything happening.
Maybe it is developmental...

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to put him down earlier, like 11:30 maybe. The thing is I notice him being tired at the time he used to go for a nap. We had our share of stress with UT:/ Well, there is no harm in trying it out :)
Also, I noticed that he sleeps better when asleep by 7:30 not 8 like before.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:48:00 am »
If I'm remembering right from my girls (ds is such a different kid in the sleep dept), it was almost like you had to help them reset their bodies to a different nap time -- so when I had to move nap times, there would be a transition time when they'd still be tired at the old time but sleep better at the new time, if that makes sense. 

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 12:34:34 pm »
I think I know exactly what you're talking about!

So the day before yesterday we all had a bad day:/
5:30 WU
6:30 OOB played by himself
12:30 - 2 nap
6:00 showed tiredness signs so I served supper 30 min earlier
6:30 fell asleep in my arms when I was carying him upstairs to finish BT routine
11pm I woke him up accidentally when going into the bedroom
11:00 - 3am he was out of sleep, wanting to play/angry that I don't want to at the same time
3:00 am I had to rock him to sleep

Then
9:30 WU
1-4:30 WOW we both napped, but I don't know if it's a nap
8:30 pm aleep

Today:
8:30 WO
12:20 - it's 1:30 now and he sleeps
He was to sleepy to eat anything at lunch at 12, went to bed almost without a bite.
I figured I won't change WU time because we have daylight savings time next sunday so...

I feel like every day is different now. Where did my textbook, right on schedule kid go?!

DO you have any ideas on how to get a hold of this mess?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:54:22 am »
Daylight savings is the worst.  The way to work through it would be to do things at set times for a week or so and reevaluate.  I think the past few days you were dealing with some catching up on sleep from your awful day. 

What if you were to try getting him up at a set time -- maybe 7:30/8 -- with the time change coming up, I might shoot for later rather than earlier (or am I thinking of it backwards, I always get confused!) -- then since 5 hours worked well before, try putting him to bed 5 hours after that -- we did a larger mid-morning snack for a bit because my first wasn't able to stay awake through lunch in the early days of one nap.  And then look at your nap length and see how it goes.  Doing things at set times is usually the way out of a mess -- and watching your A time very closely. 

He could be needing an adjustment in A time -- or even less sleep - he was getting a LOT of it prior to what's been going on (is he a high sleep needs LO?) but it seems you need to get him closer to a regular schedule to figure out what it is that he needs.  :) 

Offline Bella89

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 18:24:58 pm »
I know what you mean, but he is just different every day:(
Today he WU at 6 (which will be 5 am in a week:( and I found out 12 is too late for lunch, barely ate anything.
12:30 nap till 3
7:30 I am starting BT routine right now because I hear his is getting tired.

When you think about it that routine is good. But it just doesn't last...

About daylight savings time..
So how would I do it with new time?
5am WU
11-2 nap
asleep by 7?
And then what? Move it in 15 min increments?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 21:22:54 pm »
Honey, it will be 7am next week:) time changes the other way:))).
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 20:01:57 pm »
Nooo, I am pretty sure I was correct:/ Today's 6 will be 5. We sleep an hour more.
But I never know how to set up my clock after changes, so what do I know :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 22:57:13 pm »
Nope Honey:). Spring time change means less sleep for us but is easier for babies as 5 becomes 6:). And autumn time change means in theory more sleep but for parents with babies it's the same as kiddos still wake as in old times.
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 20:06:18 pm »
haha of course you're right!! :)
Well I should be happy then because his 6 will be 7 :p But somehow I'm just NOT :)

God news is DS did well past 2 days.Is he getting used to short nap?! His nap is 1,5-2h (we were gettin g up to 4h one time) sleeps at 7:30-8.
Wakes up 6:30-7 which is perfect.
He also has so mercy on his mamma as he just recently started to just lay down instead of jumping out of the crib.
From his naps and NS he lays down for quite some time before I notice he is awake :)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 21:10:01 pm »
I have a quick question and I figured there is no point in starting a new thread.

I noticed few posts suggesting independent sleeping for older LOs. Would that be "go to bed whenever you want to" kind of thing?

And one more. I noticed DS is putting his legs up the rails in his crib lately. I know some parents take 2 or 3 rails out at some point to prevent LO from climbing out. I wonder if we're there.
DS started walking, knows how to go down from the sofa ( backs down on his belly).
My only concerns would be: a) would that make his nap and ns shorter , b) i would have to be 100% on the starecase gate:/

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:01 am »
Hi sweetie, sorry to disappear on you, life got crazy!
Glad to hear sleep is better!

When you suggest taking the rails off the crib, would you mean that you think he is trying to climb out?  I waited until I thought mine could really climb out -- happened at different times for all of mine.  I found mine could put their legs up long before they figured out how to climb out!  Like anything else, it results in some very crazy days and nights and then it all settled back down. 

I think by independent sleeping, people are just talking about falling asleep on their own without you having to be there.  You would still need to steer him to bed at a certain time. 

Offline Bella89

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 21:06:46 pm »
Got it! Thanks :)

I think I'll wait with rails. I am positive he won't be able to climb out for a while. He just puts his legs up but still can't put it over the side ;]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 19:51:54 pm »
Are you using a sleeping bag? That's what usually really helps with a jumping baby!
~Marta