Author Topic: Question on 4 wk old and feeding!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Question on 4 wk old and feeding!
« on: March 15, 2016, 00:27:47 am »
Hii  :)

Soo lately my son doesn't sleep well during the days. He barely naps and when he does, it's not more than 1 hour. We probably get one good nap a day (1.5-2hr)

My question is, I never know if it's a growth spurt or he really is hungry because he's always rooting or showing what I feel are the hunger signs. Well, when he takes these mini snoozes, when he wakes I just give him breast. He sucks for a little then sleeps. I try to rouse and switch breasts, then some sucking but back to sleep. This can go on all day and I don't know if he's getting full feeds.

His awake time average is about 1 hour. I'm wondering what should I do when he naps this way all day? Do I offer breast or just try and soothe w paci? Or is he really hungry???

Trying my best not to get discouraged! I was told he has some tongue tie but, he seemed to have been eating well when he was napping longer and I knew he was hungry by then.

Nights he normall wakes twice... Like 2am ish and then 4-5? He's had nights of waking every hour or 2... I fed but he wasn't eating and using me as paci and wouldn't go back to sleep easy.

Help :-/
Fabi

Offline FPT23

Re: Question on 4 wk old and feeding!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 14:47:58 pm »
If I may add! ***

He strains very often and takes day to pass stools. When he does, it seems like diarrhea. But not hard or different colors etc. same yellow ish color just different consistency in texture.

He used to be great before then suddenly stopped. We've seen his dr who says he's normal and ok. Weight gain is fine. He suggested suppositories to help him if he goes 4 days. I have tried to help as I hate to see him strain so much during feeds! But no success.

What is going on? Suggestions?!
Fabi

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 18:37:58 pm »
I think there is a growth spurt at 4 weeks...which is probably part of it. Infrequent pooping is pretty common in an ebf baby...I think we have a good FAQ on poo, will see if I can find it! Here we go: The scoop on poop!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 22:20:05 pm »
For now I'd assume hunger and feed. He's still working on establishing your supply at this age.

Is the tongue tie to be treated?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline FPT23

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 18:11:56 pm »
No it will not be treated

Another question:

He's very gassy and goes daaaays without passing stools. He went yesterday after 6 days. He's visited the dr. All is well, weight as well. When he went, his stool was fine in texture and color.

Any suggestions on why? He strains trying. Gassy. Should I assume this is the norm gassy baby developing his digestive system or does what I eat have an effect? I've generally eat the same stuff.... Since he was born and he was going fine before?
Fabi

Offline FPT23

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 22:20:09 pm »
Thank you so much for your great responses ladies. I really appreciate it :)
Fabi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 11:04:09 am »
So they don't think he is constantly feeding because of any problem with transfer of milk? If he doesn't have a good latch that could cause him to take in air and be gassy.

EBF babies can go days without a stool as the Breastmilk is sometimes all absorbed. If he continues eating well I'd just see how it goes if your Dr isn't worried.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 20:10:36 pm »
Im not an expert but I would say that tongue tie is causing issues. I have a tongue tie baby and its very common for TT babies to fall asleep quickly on the breast because its just so much work for them to get the milk due to their restricted tongue. my baby too gained weight well in the beginning as supply is huge but it will go down if the breast isn't drained properly. I would advise you to see a lactation consultant who is familiar with tongue tie and see if you need to get it released. gassy/windy is a common sign of tongue tie too and so is infrequent/runny bowel movements (although as others have pointed out, BF babies can go many days without passing stool) hope that helps!
Franziska

Offline FPT23

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 18:51:01 pm »
Thank you for the responses ladies!

Your right Ali they can and maybe thats why he sleeps long stretches without needing feeds at times. He doesn't digest it all so quickly as most? When he does go, it's the normal looking stools. Nothing hard or dark etc. so I guess it's ok!

Zissi, yes the TT is always an issue! How old is your baby and do you still BF? How has it been despite the tongue? Sometimes I feel like giving in as we will never get it and causing both of us such discomfort but I'm holding on. Advice?
Fabi

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 20:40:37 pm »
my baby is 10 months and we still feed. it has never been easy, I didn't have pain as such, just a very fussy baby that gets frustrated at the breast because she can't get at the milk. we fed a lot in the first few months and even now I still feed every 2-3 hrs during the day to make sure she gets enough. but since she is older I must say I do enjoy feeding and being able to. she doesn't take a bottle either, so I don't have a choice really :)
why would you not get the TT released? its a quick procedure and can have amazing results immediately. some babies need some body work afterwards. the longer you wait the more difficult it becomes as baby forms bad habits in her feeding which are difficult to change later on. TT can cause a whole range of other issues in later life too.
Franziska

Offline FPT23

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 21:34:46 pm »
Yes I get you.

I feed all the time just to make sure but a lot of times I think he gets exhausted. More than he already does of course... So I think he stops eating.

But he's getting enough? He sleeps well and fairly long stretches for a now 5 week old.
Fabi