Author Topic: 2 week old extremely hard to settle if window missed  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
2 week old extremely hard to settle if window missed
« on: February 26, 2016, 15:44:50 pm »
Hi there!  I'm finally learning a little about my newborn!  She's only 2 weeks but doing a loose EASY with rocking to sleep.  She goes down fairy easily (rocking for a few minutes, holding for a few more and placing her down) if I wake, change feed and swaddle right away, within 30 minutes or so.  If I miss this window or incorporate too many activities into it (I have a 4 year old so sometimes things have to happen during this time), she becomes extremely hard to settle and takes over an hour to get down, which I can't keep doing with my preschooler around.  Yesterday I had to resort to wearing her in the ergo carrier latched to my boob while preparing and eating dinner before she'd finally relax.
Any tips on how I handle this?  I somehow got her riled up at 3 am and couldn't get her back down till 5 am this morning.  Help! Thanks!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 2 week old extremely hard to settle if window missed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 21:13:57 pm »
Congratulations on your new baby!

From your post you know exactly what's going on here - she's getting OS and (possibly) OT, and this is completely normal for her age.  Getting her sleeping in the crib is brilliant at this age (really amazing) but with a preschooler around you can't rely on being able to do that.  So you need to adapt - plan to use the sling, plan for buggy naps, plan to feed her to sleep etc.  My experience, and the experience of a lot of parents on here, is that when the second one comes along, you need to just do what works, it's a matter of practicality.  For now, you need to be minding yourself, enjoying your baby, paying attention to LO1s emotional needs, and definitely not getting stressed about LO2's naps! Follow EASY in terms of rhythm, don't beat yourself up if you're feeding to sleep (it's good to have a secret weapon, something that works when she's all riled up), and definitely don't imagine that you'll get every nap in the crib with your preschooler to manage too. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 16:12:49 pm »
Hi!  Sorry I never thanked you for your comment!  Turns out my baby has reflux so I'm getting no naps in the crib.  I nurse her to sleep at night and walk her to sleep in the ergo during the day (when I can).  Sometimes she won't stay asleep because we're too busy and there's too much going on.  Once she's fully out I try to out her in a rock n Play (type of sleeper that is elevated at the head) but most times her reflux flares up when I put her down and I have to pick her back up again.  This makes it extremely hard with my 4 year old because my infant either won't sleep at all or will only sleep being worn.  Any advice or even just words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!  Having trouble getting through this even though I know it will pass!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 16:26:41 pm »
Hi,

Come over and post in the Reflux board if you need any advice or support

Colic, Reflux, & Crying

With such a tiny baby you just have to do whatever you can do to get some sleep in xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 21:01:39 pm »
My DS2 is 6 weeks with reflux and I have a 4 yrs old so I know totally what your going through! I basically wear DS2 for first nap so I can get ready, get DS1 ready etc then feed DS2 and then we go out so he falls asleep in car or stroller. It's basically repeat that all day, DH walks in from work to me pulling hair out trying to cook with a baby on my front and 4 yr old watching tv (way too much tv right now)
I struggle and some days just ring my mum for a good old cry. Your not alone and it will pass just do what u can and try and go with the flow...think how quickly your 4 yr old got to being 4!xx
Zoe

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 19:35:14 pm »
Hi! I can relate!!!

I'm saying the exact to myself right now!! How is this possible with another around!?

Mine too rarely naps anymore... I'm barely able to handle myself. 

Just running on coffee and Jesus  ???
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 20:52:51 pm »
Thank you!!! We seem to have gotten the flare ups under control, it appears I was over feeding her!  So now she's not spitting up but still wakes a few minutes after I put her down.  I know she's only 4.5 weeks but would love to be able to put her down for at least 30 mins sometimes!  Once  I put her down and she starts waking how can I help her get back to sleep other than by picking her up?  As of a week or two ago she would stay asleep for a good hour or more, but not anymore. Now she wakes up generally within 5 mins of being put down.
 Thank you I will definitely check out the reflux board!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:17:41 am »
Longer naps will def come soon, as PP says - could you wear her in a sling some of the time?