Author Topic: Dummy as Prop - how to get rid of it  (Read 1335 times)

Offline babyg15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2016, 00:52:40 am »
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has anymore insight on how to stop my baby from needing a dummy to settle/sleep.

She is 3months old (2 months corrected).

Do I go cold turkey using the Four S?
Or do I wean using the Four S?

Also, she wakes during her sleep when the dummy falls out. If I don't put it back in she becomes extremely upset and cries.. do I pick her up and shhh pat?

To be honest I can't see how I could possibly take the dummy away... its the only thing that gets her from one sleep cycle to another...?

Oh and.. if I am removing the dummy from sleep times, does that mean I also have to remove it from her A time (it soothes her when she's a little grumpy)

Any other tips welcome :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:35:31 am by babyg15 »

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Dummy as Prop - how to get rid of it
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 14:53:00 pm »
Hi hun!  I am getting some more info, but I am pretty sure that it is not recommended to drop the dummy cold turkey before 4 months as it is a SIDS risk...I am confirming that though and I will get back to you.

Are you currently using the 4-S and shh/pat to settle her?  If you aren't really ready to give up the dummy you don't have to, but we can certainly help you settle her with or without it.  Both my LOs have used them to fall asleep.

When the dummy falls out is she in a deep sleep, or is she sort of transitioning?