Author Topic: 9 Month Old Nap Waking  (Read 885 times)

Offline ShireMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2016, 15:31:55 pm »
Hello.

I'm new here, and I've perused a bit, but not a lot... so I apologize if this has been discussed or answered elsewhere.

I have a 9.5 month old who went from being a wonderful napper to being TERRIBLE.  She wakes every 30 minutes almost to the minute.  She goes down easily (still nursed/rocked down - will wean from that after I get her sleeping longer and when she's at least 12 months), but she wakes without fail at the 30 minute mark.  Sometimes I can pat and shoosh her back to sleep, but if so, she will generally sleep 15-30 minutes more and wake again.  I could continue this pattern and get her to sleep 1-1.5 hours, but that's not realistic.  And I want her to sleep through that much on her own.  My pediatrician recommended moving her to one nap, which I'll consider when we get back from vacation week after next (she'll then be 10 months).  But I don't think that is going to help the situation.  I don't believe in CIO, although I did try it when she woke just to see if she could self-soothe/settle - but she did not, even after a significant amount of time.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jill

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 9 Month Old Nap Waking
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:07:57 am »
Hi there!  To be honest, it sounds like your LO is simply not tired enough.  If you could post your EASY I can have a look and see what we can tweak to get better sleep.  Most LO's are not ready for one nap before 12 months of age.  Some are, but not many so let's see what else we can do first.  I would suggest you wean both of you off the nursing/rocking to sleep just because it does mean she's relying on you to help her go to sleep, as opposed to be comfortable just nodding off on her own.  Just a thought.  I look forward to your EASY!

Offline ShireMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:19:49 pm »
What is an EASY? I think I understand it as their eating/activity/sleeping schedule... if so, this is a typical day at home.  If we're out and about, she naps in the car or whenever is possible.

6:30/7:00 Wakeup & Nurse
7:30 Eat
8:00 Play with big brother
10:45-11:00 Nap - goes down easily (nurse/rock), wakes 30 minutes later
12:00 Eat
12:30 Play with big brother
2:30/3:00 Nap - same as above
4:00 Nurse & snack
6:00 Eat
6:30 Play
7/7:30 Nurse then Bedtime routine with Daddy
She wakes all the time through the night - habitual waker other than two times when she nurses... we co-sleep from 12-6:30.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 9 Month Old Nap Waking
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 15:15:21 pm »
Ok, given that she's waking often throughout the night and is not sleeping longer than 30 minutes independently during the day I think she's stuck in a bit of an OT/UT loop.  What I would recommend is bringing that first nap back a bit, say to 10am and let's see if we can get a longer morning nap which should help.  You may need to commit to staying home in the morning for a few days, just to get her sorted out.  If you are able to break the feed/rock to sleep connection, you will also likely see a big improvement in her sleep.   
I would also suggest you try PU/PD for the night wakings, however it will prove much more challenging due to the co-sleeping.  I've attached the links below.  I've also included a link for Shh-Pat as that might work better for you.  Please do be aware that SIDS guidelines discourages co-sleeping due to the potential risks it exposes baby to.  Much like with CIO, it is not a method we support on BW.  We will do our best to help you encourage your baby to become an independent sleeper using the gentle methods we support here.     

Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
Shush-pat - How to

Offline ShireMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 18:27:09 pm »
Thank you for the supportive advice.  I'll take it into consideration.  I will say that it doesn't seem to matter when I have her nap - it could be anywhere between 8:30 - 11:30 and she still sleeps 30 minutes max uninterrupted.  Her pediatrician suggested moving her to one nap because of this, which is why I've been inching it later every few days.  I have been patting/shushing since birth, so I know that is effective.  But I've never tried PU/PD and maybe I'll give that a try and also consider weaning her off of nursing to sleep - all of this will have to wait til after we get back from vacation at the end of this month. 

I'll report back!