Author Topic: 9 MO - not enough time in a day for two proper naps  (Read 832 times)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
9 MO - not enough time in a day for two proper naps
« on: March 16, 2016, 16:21:15 pm »
Hi All:

9 month old DD2 finally sleeping well at night.  The 8 month sleep regression was ugly but we made it though. Yay!

She needs fairly long wake times to sleep well, both for naps and at night.  The issue is that we sometimes have trouble fitting in time for nap 2 and still getting a reasonable bedtime.   On an average day her A times are approx. 4/3.5/4 if nap 1 is 1.25 and nap 2 is 1.0.  That leads to a late bedtime and a roughly 13.5 hour day.  I've tried putting her down for bed before 4 hours of A time but she is UT and fights it, unless nap 2 was short.

Yesterday I did nap 2 in the stroller (30 min) and the result was good.  She was asleep by 8pm and slept until 7:20am.  Day looked like this:
7:30: W/U
11:25-12:40: Nap 1
4:10-4:40: Nap 2 (stroller)
8:00: BT (I tried her at 7:40pm but she was UT... held her and let her chat it out a couple of times before putting her down again at 7:50)

I am wondering if it's time for the 2 to 1 transition already?  She rarely sleeps longer than 90 minutes for nap 1, which will not be enough to carry her over until BT.  Should I just keep capping nap 2 or do you have any other suggestions?

We are moving her into DD1's room next weekend. Wish me luck!  DD1, age 3, goes to bed between 8 and 8:30 (and naps 60-90 minutes).  I would like DD2's bedtime to be slightly earlier, if possible.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 9 MO - not enough time in a day for two proper naps
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 19:43:39 pm »
Not ready for the 2-1 just yet, but by all means you may need to start capping one of her naps to fit everything in.  What you're doing is perfect, actually.  A nice long first A time and 1.5h nap, then a shorter second A aiming for a bit of an UT nap which you could wake her from in order to keep to a max 13h day.  Very typically at this age we had a morning nap of 1h15-30 with DD and an afternoon nap of 35-45 mins.  I didn't wake her, she just never took a great pm nap!  And then started pm nap refusals at 10 months ::) but that's another story!  So in short - no don't switch to one nap just yet, but yes wake her from that second nap to keep bedtime to a decent hour :)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 9 MO - not enough time in a day for two proper naps
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 20:00:10 pm »
Great.  Thanks for your help!