Author Topic: Napping problems should I intervene?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Dollopsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 17, 2016, 13:37:26 pm »
My DD is 11 weeks old but was 9 days overdue (does this make her 12 weeks developmentally) and used to nap really well up until about 8 weeks. She never woke early from naps. Not long after this she dropped night feeds by herself and sleeps brilliantly 7 - 7 with 11pm dream feed, if she does stir so far she goes back to sleep herself. I know this is amazing and I should be very grateful (which I am). She now wakes 30-40 mins into every nap and cries, I was intervening with shh pat but that often seemed to make her worse and I thought it could be mantra crying so have started to leave her to it.  She does go back to sleep by herself after sometimes only a very brief cry and sometimes after a couple of mins of crying on and off over half an hour. Given her age and good weight and that she did not seem particularly hungry I moved her to 3.5 our easy 4 days ago as I thought this could be the cause but so far naps are no better and while going 3.5 hours between feeds is clearly no issue for her she seems quite tired (although not very grumpy at least).

Sorry for this lengthy explanation but I am quite conflicted about whether I should be intervening when she cries (sometimes it seems a bit elevated for a mantra cry) or if I should just continue as I am as she does always get back to sleep in the end until next feed time. The last afternoon nap can often be the worst with her disturbing and crying and resettling a few times rather than once. I didn't know if I should start doing pu/pd given that this is a tool to teach them to self soothe which she seems to be doing already? I have not tried wake to sleep. Should I just carry on as I am and eventually she will grow out of waking or should I take action as Tracy says not to let it become habit.

Insights very much appreciated as I am worried I am not doing the best I can for her.

Thanks.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Napping problems should I intervene?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 16:05:14 pm »
I am very jealous, she sounds like she's doing amazingly well! My 4mo needs me right there for most of his sleep still. Although it is lovely to have him curled up next to me in the sling :).

Try leaving her a little while and if she's not settling (crying, awake) go and put a hand on her. If that doesn't work, pick her up. You really can't spoil a baby with love but if she's trying to be independent it's good to give her the chance. I'd expect it's a phase and will pass.

If she's asleep and crying, I'd just check on her and see what's going on. You'll know if she needs you :)

My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Dollopsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 16:39:23 pm »
Thanks, I know she is doing really well so really don't want to sound like I am complaining, just want to do the best for her. Thanks, this is kind of what I am doing, giving her the chance to settle herself. If she doesn't settle after ten mins or so I do go in. Hopefully she will grow out of the early nap wakings.